Re: Warnings when building wolips

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 14:59:47 EDT

    I think Pierre and I must run with a lot more of the stock Eclipse
    warnings enabled since you only have 12 warnings visible. Here are
    some notable ones that I love and/or hate :)

    Warnings that Can Catch Bugs
    * Deprecation (not so much bugs, but just good to know)
    * Local variable is never read (might imply that you used the wrong
    variable somewhere)
    * Unused local or private member (same)
    * All the Name Shadowing warnings (this is just ASKING for bugs).
    The only one I am likely to turn off is "field hides another field"
    because it doesn't have an option to turn off checks for static
    fields (Project Wonder has _Entity.log and Entity.log that triggers
    this otherwise). Every other one of these is just a good idea
    * All the Potential Programming Problems warnings except Box/Unbox
    and Serializable
    * Parameter assignment
    * Undocumented empty block

    Warnings that Don't Catch Bugs, but I Like to Fix Them
    * Non-static access to static member
    * Unused import
    * Unnecessary else statement
    * Unnecessary cast or instanceof
    * Unnecessary declaration of thrown exception (this can give false
    positives because of subclasses, though)

    Warnings I Don't Like
    * Parameter is never read (this can give false positives because of
    subclasses)
    * Discouraged access rules (this was a really obnoxious addition to
    Eclipse plugins because they hide tons of API that we use)
    * Serializable (this catches a lot of stuff with WO)
    * Unqualified access to an instance field (I personally hate
    this.whatever)

    ms