Re: EOModeler vs EntityModeler

From: Markus Ruggiero (marku..uggiero.ch)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 08:52:59 EDT

    Hi Mike,

    Will load the update and report tomorrow. Thanks already for your help.

    ---markus---

    On 19.09.2006, at 14:17, Mike Schrag wrote:

    > OK, I'm just now committing a new ErrorDialog that will be used
    > everywhere. This new dialog will display the paragraph form of an
    > exception in the main area with a Details button that will show the
    > full stack trace. Annoyingly Eclipse does not provide a reusable
    > version of this Dialog which they actually have implemented
    > somewhere else down inside of some of their plugins. It was one of
    > those components that I've been meaning to write for a while and
    > just hadn't gotten around to it.
    >
    > I'm kicking off the build server now, so if either one of you can
    > update to the latest version in a little while and reproduce that
    > error, you should be able to send me the actual stack trace much
    > more easily.
    >
    > ms
    >
    > On Sep 19, 2006, at 7:40 AM, Philippe Lafoucrière wrote:
    >

    >> On 19 sept. 06, at 12:54, Markus Ruggiero wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi folks,
    >>>
    >>> first of all thanks to the WOLips team - great stuff. After some
    >>> more of less systematic (mostly less) playing with Eclipse and
    >>> WOLips and going back and forth between XCode and Eclipse we now
    >>> migrate our first productive project to Eclipse/WOLips. So far so
    >>> good, it works but I have found some strange things that I need
    >>> help with.
    >>>
    >>> I need to add a new entity to our datamodel. Using the
    >>> EntityModeler I can setup (new) attributes by simply selecting
    >>> type/class/value type from a popup. That all looks good. However
    >>> when I try to generate SQL I get a nice small alert box with just
    >>> the message that a java. lang. NullpointerException had occurred.
    >>> Nothing in any log that I could find. Well, that's bad but not a
    >>> show stopper, I still have EOModeler. But EOModeler is not happy
    >>> with my model file!! Some external type columns are empty, the
    >>> model is corrupt and I have to fix it manually. OK, can do that
    >>> but then why should I go with EntityModeler at all? What bothers
    >>> me is that EOModeler and EntityModeler show different Java
    >>> classes and data types. One such case: EOM shows NSTimestamp/
    >>> DATETIME/(no value type) whereas the same is shown in
    >>> EntityModeler as (popup)Date(Object)NSCalendarDate/DATETIME. This
    >>> is just one case, I have observed other such disagreements.
    >>>
    >>> What am I doing wrong? Or is there a problem with EntityModeler?
    >>
    >> Hello, I had a similar problem recently, and it was comming only
    >> from EntiryModeler (not EOModeler).
    >>
    >> The problem was coming (strangly) from an entity Books, with
    >> tableName = books, and Class = Books
    >> I solved it by renaming the Class parameter to something else,
    >> like BooksEntity, and then the SQL generation worked. It sounds
    >> there's a bug arround there, which is quite difficult to reproduce :(
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Philippe

    Don't miss my latest project at http://blindpromo.com

    Markus Ruggiero
    rucotec consulting and technologies email
    mailto:markus.ruggier..ucotec.ch
    rucotec GmbH web http://www.rucotec.ch
    Steinentorstrasse 8
    4051 Basel Mobile +41 (0)79 508 4701
    Switzerland Phone/Fax +41 (0)61 271 4990