Re: Problem deploying wolips-app with monitor

From: Stephen R. Smith (ssmit..lignsoft.com)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2006 - 21:54:43 EDT

    Hi Markus,

    Bring up your project properties in Eclipse, look under WOLips Build and
    make sure that a) your Build style is set to ŒUse Ant (build.xml)¹, that b)
    the Project kind is set to Application, and that the Principal Class field
    has the correct path to the Application class. If you don¹t use packages in
    your project, it would be simply Application, if you do use packages, it
    will be the full path to the Application class. I have a package called
    com.asi.foundation that contains Application.java, Session.java and
    DirectAction.java, so my Principal Class is com.asi.foundation.Application )

    Clean and build the project, then right click the build.xml file in the
    Package Explorer and select ŒRun As¹ - and ŒAnt Build¹ from the submenu.
    This will generate a MyApp.woa package in the MyApp/dist/ folder in your
    workspace. Move this MyApp.woa package onto your deployment server into
    /Library/WebObjects/Applications and
    /Library/WebServer/Documents/WebObjects/

    When you finally deploy, the .woa bundle in the WebServer directory should
    only contain the WebServerResources subdirectory within the .woa package,
    but for test deployments, is easier to deposit the same .woa bundle in both
    places.

    Then try launching the app via Monitor and see where that gets you.

    Cheers,
    :Steve

    --
    Stephen R. Smith                Tel: 905.633.9178
    Senior Developer                Fax: 905.634.1064

    From: Markus Ruggiero <marku..uggiero.ch> Reply-To: <woproject-de..bjectstyle.org> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:56:21 +0200 To: WOLips <woproject-de..bjectstyle.org> Subject: Problem deploying wolips-app with monitor

    Oh dear, I don't get it anymore

    Ported a simple app from Xcode to Eclipse/WOLips. The Eclipse project has a different name than the Xcode thing. So I actually have a completely new application that happens to look identical. Reorganised classes into packages, works nicely now out of Eclipse with rapid turnaround via WebServer. Well, now it is time to deploy on a Tiger test system. Using the ant build (target install) I create on my local box /Library/WebObjects/Applications/MyApp.woa, then move this to the server. On the server I have already the same app (created from the Xcode project) deployed with Monitor. I create a new app in Monitor, copy all the additional commandline args over from the old app and on we go - or we don't! Monitor is not able to start the app. It counts up deaths and after 30 seconds gives up. No log is generated in /tmp. touch /tmp/logWebObjects and try again. Again no app and still no log. Starting the app from the command line with all the params copied from the info panel for the instance in Monitor and the app runs fine. Nor problem, WebObjects.log generated. Even Monitor sees the app as running. I can shutdown the app from monitor but still no way to start with monitor. Also no info in any log that I know of (/var/log/webobject.log, system.log, console.log)

    Everything is Java 1.4.2_09 (development as well as server box) Eclipse 3.2 with WOlips  2.0.0.334

    Any idea how to figure what monitor is doing (or not doing)? Thanks

    ---markus---

    Don't miss my latest project at http://blindpromo.com

    Markus Ruggiero

    rucotec consulting and technologies    email     mailto:markus.ruggier..ucotec.ch

    rucotec GmbH                           web       http://www.rucotec.ch

    Steinentorstrasse 8

    4051 Basel                             Mobile    +41 (0)79 508 4701

    Switzerland                            Phone/Fax +41 (0)61 271 4990