woproject-maven-plugin Next Steps

From: Henrique Prange (hprang..mail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 16:05:20 EDT

    Hi Andrus, Ulrich and others,

    Sorry for the long time to answer back.

    I put a short documentation about maven-archetype-woapplication and
    maven-woproject-plugin on Confluence.

    As I have seen, we could port woproject maven 1 plug-in to maven 2 using
    Ant Plug-ins for Maven 2 [1]. But before continuing with the
    maven-woproject-plugin development, we must be able to run and develop
    an application based on Maven 2 using WOLips. So, I created a new
    project using maven-archetype-woapplication, import it into Eclipse and
    add the WebObjects project capabilities.

    I have found some problems:

    1) Maven projects naming convention breaks NSProjectSearchPath: Using a
    project named my-app (that contains a dash), for example, breaks
    NSProjectSearchPath and the rapid turnaround is disabled.

    2) When I try to run a WebObjects application using WOLips this
    exception is thrown (the java-webobjects.jar is in the classpath as a
    Maven dependency):

    <main> Unable to initialize WOProperties for reason: Cannot find
    JavaWebObjects framework ! java.lang.NullPointerException

    <main> A fatal exception occurred: null: <WOApplication>: Cannot be
    initialized.

    <main> com.webobjects.foundation.NSForwardException for
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at
    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOProperties.initUserDefaultsKeys(WOProperties.java:180)
            at
    com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication._initWOApp(WOApplication.java:5051)
            at com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication.<init>(WOApplication.java:551)
            at my.group.Application.<init>(Application.java:12)
            at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
    Source)
            at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
            at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
            at com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication.main(WOApplication.java:323)
            at my.group.Application.main(Application.java:9)

    If I try to run the application outside the IDE (from command line),
    with the classpath files pointing to WebObjects jars into maven
    repository, it works.

    Some questions:

    3) The my-app.woa bundle can be created inside "target" folder, instead
    of build or dist?

    4) Some time ago I asked on WebObjects list if someone knows the
    transitive dependencies for each WebObjects jar. Chuck Hill answered me
    [2] saying that only WebObjects development team has this kind of
    information. Maybe you know someone who knows someone at WebObjects team
    that can give us this kind of information. If not, I’ll gather this
    information by hand.

    [1]http://maven.apache.org/guides/plugin/guide-ant-plugin-development.html
    [2]http://lists.apple.com/archives/webobjects-dev/2006/Sep/msg00467.html

    Cheers,