Best Practices for Managing the Classpath?

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 18:32:42 EST

Hi,

I am updating some rather old processes that I have been using with
WOLips for a while now. I suspect that some of them were born of
bugs long since dead. I am trying to figure out the best way to
manage generating the runtime (command line) classpath files. Up to
now, I have set up each project to install into /Library/Frameworks
when it builds. Other projects include the installed projects via
the standard WOFrameworks Library. This works, but as I bundle my
frameworks into my applications, I would like to avoid this install
step.

I tried not installing and adding them to the WOFrameworks Library
and instead just referencing them as Required Projects in the Java
Build path. This works fine for building and launching. I can see
that WOLips has included references to these frameworks:

$ cat woproject/ant.frameworks.wo.wolocalroot
Library/Frameworks/FrontBasePlugIn.framework
Library/Java/Extensions/OpenBaseJDBC.jar
Library/Java/Extensions/frontbasejdbc.jar
Library/Frameworks/RequiredFramework.framework

However, when the project is built, FrontBasePlugIn.framework
(installed in /Library/Frameworks) is embedded and added to the
classpath but RequiredFramework.framework (which only exists in the
workspace) is neither embedded nor added to the classpath.

I also tried including the jar for RequiredFramework.framework in the
Libraries. Again, WOLips sees this:

$ cat woproject/ant.frameworks.wo.wolocalroot
Library/Frameworks/FrontBasePlugIn.framework
Library/Java/Extensions/OpenBaseJDBC.jar
Library/Java/Extensions/frontbasejdbc.jar
RequiredFramework/ RequiredFramework.framework

but neither embeds it nor adds it to classpath.

Is there any way to handle this other than installing the frameworks
and referencing the installed versions?

Do you consider what happens for Required Projects to be a bug?
Should embedding these be handled by WOProject?

Some probably related bugs:

http://objectstyle.org/jira/browse/WOL-124
http://objectstyle.org/jira/browse/WOL-156
http://objectstyle.org/jira/browse/WOL-289