Re: [OS-JIRA] Created: (WOL-359) Add option for using relative paths within the EOGenerator editor

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 19:52:00 EST

    Hi Mike,

    On 13/01/2007, at 1:29 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    > That code hasn't changed basically since version 1 ... It has
    > always been a little bit sketchy. The problem is that you can
    > reference models all over the place, so coming up with a consistent
    > and cross-machine way of resolving the path to them is annoyingly
    > tricky. The current implementation "guesses" when it should try to
    > build a relative path and when it should just fall back and choose
    > an absolute path. I think the rule is something like whether or
    > not there is any part of the two paths that they have in common.
    > So Chuck would probably be right that if you are crossing volumes,
    > it would have a hard time.
    >
    > This has always bugged me. My current thoughts are that it should
    > just name the models and let model resolution find them itself.
    > The problem with this is the same issue we ran into with Entity
    > Modeler where people don't necessarily have uniquely named models
    > in development mode (this generally seems to be when people don't
    > use prototypes and instead opt for their own method). In that
    > case, you would have to also have some mechanism for defining which
    > specific models you mean. For Entity Modeler we actually use the
    > same editor as eogen files so you can pick models exactly BECAUSE
    > it supports path references for disambiguation. If eogen files
    > removed that feature, then there would have to be both a new method
    > for creating .eomodelgroup files as well as a new method to
    > disambiguate .eogen files for people who have non-unique names.
    >
    > My point here is that this problem is a big pain in the butt :),
    > and I don't have a particularly good answer for it at the moment.

    Is it the same for the templates? That's actually the path that I was
    most interested in but forgot to mention originally.

    I'm just wondering if it's possible to add a checkbox to the gui to
    enable "relative to project.dir" so that the dir chosen from the
    "Browse..." is translated to a relative path if outside the project dir.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck