WebObjects and Java

From: Gavin Eadie (gavi..mich.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 09:56:42 EST

    I've heard it said on a few occasions over the years that some of the
    WebObjects ways of doing things that were inherited from Objective C
    would migrate towards Java ways of doing things. WebObjects has
    Resources, Java has Resources; WO has NSLog and Java has logging (and
    log4j, and common-logging); WO has frameworks, Java has jar/war
    files; NSArray, and friends, recently adopted the collections
    interface, and so on ...

    That there is a new version of XCode, and, with it, a new version of
    WebObjects tied to the release of Leopard is, I believe. well enough
    known.

    I've wondered to what extent aspects of WebObjects becoming more
    'Java-native' may be advantages to the WOLips support people are
    working so hard on. It's not possible to have this be a conversation
    because anyone who can respond in a knowledgeable way is bound by an
    NDA to be silent. Maybe the best that can happen right now is for me
    to ask anyone who is WOLips savvy and can explore the future of
    Apple's WebObjects support, to keep an eye open for synergy.

    If, for example, WebObjects builds in XCode were to be driven by ant,
    instead of jam, could those ant configurations operate standalone, or
    could and the conventions they use (eg: 'src', 'lib' etc directory
    names) be the same, or conveniently compatible?

    As I noted, this can't be a discussion -- just my encouragement to
    the wise working on WOLips and XCode ... Gav