Re: WebObjects and Java

From: Anjo Krank (kran..ogicunited.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 13:03:13 EST

    Am 25.01.2007 um 15:56 schrieb Gavin Eadie:

    > I've wondered to what extent aspects of WebObjects becoming more
    > 'Java-native' may be advantages to the WOLips support people are
    > working so hard on. It's not possible to have this be a
    > conversation because anyone who can respond in a knowledgeable way
    > is bound by an NDA to be silent. Maybe the best that can happen
    > right now is for me to ask anyone who is WOLips savvy and can
    > explore the future of Apple's WebObjects support, to keep an eye
    > open for synergy.

    I for my part have so given up on hope that Apple is doing anything
    useful related to WO in a reasonable time frame that I'm far less
    hesitant to do anything I deem necessary in order to get the results
    I need to get my work done than I was a few years ago. This includes
    eg. the replacement of NSMutableArray in Wonder so we finally have
    reasonable collection support but certainly doesn't stop there.

    > If, for example, WebObjects builds in XCode were to be driven by
    > ant, instead of jam, could those ant configurations operate
    > standalone, or could and the conventions they use (eg: 'src', 'lib'
    > etc directory names) be the same, or conveniently compatible?

    As woproject builds do run just fine - and in case they don't, this
    failure is under our rather timely control to fix - I see no reason
    to create or maintain any form of compatibility with hypothetical
    XCode based ant builds. In particular, the Wonder-based builds are
    going to stay as they are with the naming convention that is in use
    there.

    If others want to do the work, fine, but only if it is guaranteed
    that the builds as they currently are run and continue to run for
    quite some time.

    Cheers, Anjo