Re: WebObjects and Java

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 13:16:35 EST

    On Jan 25, 2007, at 10:03 AM, Anjo Krank wrote:
    > Am 25.01.2007 um 15:56 schrieb Gavin Eadie:
    >
    >> I've wondered to what extent aspects of WebObjects becoming more
    >> 'Java-native' may be advantages to the WOLips support people are
    >> working so hard on. It's not possible to have this be a
    >> conversation because anyone who can respond in a knowledgeable way
    >> is bound by an NDA to be silent. Maybe the best that can happen
    >> right now is for me to ask anyone who is WOLips savvy and can
    >> explore the future of Apple's WebObjects support, to keep an eye
    >> open for synergy.
    >
    > I for my part have so given up on hope that Apple is doing anything
    > useful related to WO in a reasonable time frame that I'm far less
    > hesitant to do anything I deem necessary in order to get the
    > results I need to get my work done than I was a few years ago. This
    > includes eg. the replacement of NSMutableArray in Wonder so we
    > finally have reasonable collection support but certainly doesn't
    > stop there.

    I think Anjo is correct. If you are expecting Cool New WO Tools
    from Apple, you are dreaming. Nothing wrong with dreaming, but it
    does not get one's work done.

    >> If, for example, WebObjects builds in XCode were to be driven by
    >> ant, instead of jam, could those ant configurations operate
    >> standalone, or could and the conventions they use (eg: 'src',
    >> 'lib' etc directory names) be the same, or conveniently compatible?
    >
    > As woproject builds do run just fine - and in case they don't, this
    > failure is under our rather timely control to fix - I see no
    > reason to create or maintain any form of compatibility with
    > hypothetical XCode based ant builds. In particular, the Wonder-
    > based builds are going to stay as they are with the naming
    > convention that is in use there.

    I don't see any reason why woproject based builds would not work
    under Xcode with the Ant support. Ideally, they would model their
    Ant support after the pre-existing woproject, but I really doubt that
    will be the case. On the other hand, we might learn something new
    from someone approaching it from a different perspective.

    > If others want to do the work, fine, but only if it is guaranteed
    > that the builds as they currently are run and continue to run for
    > quite some time.

    I totally agree. I personally don't see any advantage to using Xcode
    and don't want current builds to break to support it.

    Chuck