Re: -extdirs /Library/WebObjects/Extensions -> .classpath howto?

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 12:50:48 EST

    On Jan 30, 2007, at 6:20 AM, Kieran Kelleher wrote:

    > I only use it for JDBC drivers, but I thought it might be a
    > workaround for Lachlan.

    It is OK (actually the intended location) for JDBC drivers. For
    anything other than extensions to the core Java API, it is a
    dangerous place to put things. Pay attention to Anjo's warning. The
    problems that it can cause are very, very hard to debug.

    > A better development strategy is putting the jars in a framework in
    > any case ..... so that might be a good opportunity for those moving
    > to Eclipse to refactor and organize their 3rd party jars better.
    > IMHO, adding a framework to a project is not that much work unless
    > you are spitting out projects at a rate of one per hour.

    That still leaves you with a similar problem unless you also clean
    out /Library/WebObjects/Extensions on each machine. IIRC, the jars
    there are loaded first (by the WO launch script) so they will take
    precedence over anything in a framework. Any way that you do it, it
    is messy.

    Chuck