Re: [Wonder-disc] Eclipse/WOLips Problems

From: Jerry W. Walker (jerrywwalke..mail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 08:55:12 EST

    Hi, Anjo,

    First, thank you for the timely (and kind) response to my diatribe.
    It was late, I was tired and frustrated.

    On Mar 1, 2007, at 5:20 AM, Anjo Krank wrote:

    > Am 01.03.2007 um 07:36 schrieb Jerry W. Walker:
    >> * The project was not built since its build path is incomplete.
    >> Cannot find the class file for com.webobjects.appserver.WOSession.
    >> Fix the build path then try building this project.
    >
    > This one is interesting... what does your build path look like? A
    > correct one should be like this:
    >
    > <pastedGraphic.png>

    Interesting that last night (or in the wee hours of the morning) I
    couldn't create a project with all the components listed in the
    example even after several tries. I quit Eclipse and went to bed.
    When I restarted Eclipse and created a new project this morning, it
    had all the components listed in the example. It must have needed a
    rest (or more probably a restart). Unfortunately, it still had the
    two same error messages. So I displayed the build path which differs
    in two places from the graphic you sent:

       * my JRE System Library is JVM 1.5.0 vs. your JVM 1.4.

       * my WO Frameworks also include a JavaWOExtensions.jar that was
    not listed in yours

    In particular, note that it lists the javawebobjects.jar, so it
    shouldn't have problems accessing WOSession; but it seems to.

    >> * Where do you guys put your Eclipse project folder?
    >
    > There is no "project folder". In Eclipse you have a concept of
    > "Workspaces", which are a set of projects that you want to work
    > with. A workspace is nothing more than a folder with a .metadata
    > folder in it (gets created by Eclipse when you open a workspace
    > with "File->Switch workspace")
    >
    > Mine are currently:
    >
    > ~/Documents/workspaces/
    > work/
    > wolips/
    > merces/
    >
    > You project folders don't need to reside in your workspace. A
    > "project" is a folder with a .project and a .classpath file (which
    > get created by Eclipse when you do "File->New->Project") You can
    > import these into as many workspaces you want, but be prepared that
    > Eclipse will need to rebuild when you switch workspaces.

    Sorry, must have been sleepy. My first question should have been,
    "Where do you guys put your 'workspace' folder?" From your answer,
    you're saying that you have three such workspace folders named
    "work", "wolips" and "merces" all in the ~/Documents/workspaces
    folder? So, I'm presuming that I can put that "workspace" folder
    anywhere and name it about anything I want (which I just confirmed
    with Eclipse).

    >> * How do you install Eclipse? Do you drag Eclipse to the /
    >> Applications folder and stuff all the other stuff that was downloaded
    >> with it into the /Library/Application Support folder? Do you just
    >> leave it all in the downloaded Eclipse folder and stick that in /
    >> Applications, or maybe somewhere else?
    >
    > You download Eclipse, put it where you want (mine's in ~/
    > Applications/Eclipse/) and then start to import plugins. It used to
    > be that you could simply drop plugins into features/ and plugins/
    > but nowadays you need to import them. Once imported you can delete
    > the original (if the plugins are from the file system, not from the
    > web).
    >
    > What I do in addition is to maintain eclipse extensions folders for
    > "extras" and "wolips", but this is because as a developer I need to
    > update WOLips on a regular basis and like to be able to throw away
    > the old plugins.

    I moved the downloaded Eclipse folder to my /Local/Applications after
    installing the plugins and it seems to work fine (or at least with no
    new errors introduced), thanks.

    >> * With Xcode, I can keep all my projects in a directory of my
    >> choosing (~/Development) under their own client subdirectories. Is
    >> there a way to maintain this kind of clean separation and project
    >> organization with Eclipse, or do all my projects have to now get
    >> stuffed into the Eclipse project folder?
    >
    > See above. However, you can import them all into a single workspace
    > and then group the display with the "Working Set" feature in the
    > package explorer popup.
    >
    > Be advised that Eclipse is a *huge* beast. Think XCode build
    > configs times 100 or so. When I give courses on it, I take about 2
    > days to cover most of the edit, compile, settings, debug, version
    > control and deployment cycle. These are loooong days :)
    >
    > However, even on a basic level the productivity gains are pretty
    > severe so it's most likely worth it. The code navigation and
    > refactoring alone are priceless.

    I appreciate these suggestions. I'm not moving everything over to
    Eclipse yet, so I'll explore the organizing options more fully when
    I've got it working. The last (short) time I used it, I remember the
    refactoring as being incredibly helpful. I just wasn't using a
    processor that was fast enough to draw the windows quickly enough
    (PPC G3). That became the deal breaker that drove me back to Xcode.

    > So just grit your teeth a bit more and show us you got what it
    > takes :)

    The gritting teeth part is easy, I've got that down. We'll see if I
    have what it takes, though the last time I remember "...got what it
    takes" being used as a challenge, the speaker was suggesting
    something like bungie jumping, whose risks seemed to badly outweigh
    the benefits as far as I could see. At that time I was kind of proud
    of not having what it took.

    In any case, thanks for your kind help.

    Regards,
    Jerry

    --
    __ Jerry W. Walker,
        WebObjects Developer/Instructor for High Performance Industrial

    jerrywwalke..ee-em-aye-eye-ell.com 203 278-4085 office