Re: EOGenerator Replacement

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 14:25:49 EDT

    :-)

    No, I don't think so yet (although someone could probably do it in a
    couple days if they wanted to add that functionality). Actually, you
    could probably set up a couple of velocity templates to create the
    EOModel files. I have some code that provides extension points to
    the modeler that exists for Cayenne 1.2; it's on my todo list to add
    this to the Cayenne 3.0 source.

    Hmm. There may be more work involved than I originally considered.
    You'd need to somehow preserve EOPrototypes as the Cayenne modeler
    doesn't yet support them. User properties would also need to be
    preserved, although a feature to support user properties has been the
    topic of serious discussion on the cayenne lists recently, and will
    probably be implemented by someone (maybe me) in the near future.

    One of my cayenne-modeler-backed projects reads the data model out of
    a proprietary database model (including a table that provides
    EOPrototype-functionality equivalency) so it can be done.

    So, no, the functionality is certainly possible within the modeler
    architecture, but no one has implemented it yet. Ironically, I
    originally started working with Cayenne precisely to add this ability
    (load/edit/save EOModels), but ended up simply switching over to
    Cayenne due to political reasons beyond my control.

    The remaining WO project I'm working on is in maintenance mode. If I
    had to change the database model (which hasn't had to happen in
    years), I'd be editing the model by hand or with EOModeler, probably.

    The only thing that's likely to change is code generated from the model.