Re: [maven] MyApp.woapplication.tar.gz not preserving executable file mode

From: Fabian Peters (lists.fabia..-lumo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 14:36:52 EDT

    Hi Kieran,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Am 12.04.2007 um 18:50 schrieb Kieran Kelleher:

    > Why not just set permissions and ownership in your deployment
    > script? I use bash scripts for deployment and the enabler is my
    > machine root user having authorized ssh key access to root on the
    > deployment servers. Hence with a script I can build, rename, copy
    > to remote, set owner/permissions on remote. When that's all done I
    > go into Monitor and change config to new named woa for new
    > instances, launch a new instance and refuse sessions on old instance.
    >
    > For example on a project called omega, the dist that is built
    > locally on my machine is automatically named to sth like
    > omega_20070412_1415.woa before copying to appserver (that's
    > project_YYYYMMDD_HHMM.woa). Just change config to select the omega
    > executable inside that after the deployment is done.

    Well, yes, I have - and still do use, for now - a similar setup. But
    with a rising number of projects and dependencies, the various ant
    builds have started to be rather hard to maintain and error prone.
    So, I took some time and had a thorough look at maven, which fits the
    bill for me. Builds that have passed all tests and that I want to
    deploy are stored in a maven repo as a tgz archive, named in a
    similar fashion like you pointed out above. Checkout from svn,
    building, packaging, testing, deploying to the maven repository etc.,
    is all handled by maven/continuum. In principle, all I have to do now
    is use curl and tar to place the app in the right place and do my
    work in Monitor. I really don't want to set up new build scripts for
    each different project, just to "chmod +x" the files that need to be
    executable (I have projects which have several such files).

    What I'm looking for is a solution in the maven realm, which I reckon
    should be simple enough. I'm just not really sure whether this is an
    issue with the wolifecycle maven plugin or rooted at some higher level.

    Fabian