Re: -extdirs /Library/WebObjects/Extensions -> .classpath howto?

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 02:25:31 EDT

    Hello all (wolips implementors especially)...

    Would it be possible for someone to add an option to WOLips that
    would allow /Library/WebObjects/Extensions/*.jar to be available from
    the "Add Library..." dialog. i.e., so it's similar to a JRE lib.

    It currently shows "WebObjects Frameworks" and "WebObjects Frameworks
    old" as options.

    Can we have one more option: "WebObjects Runtime".

    This would be ideal in that it would allow someone to check out the
    project from svn, for example, without additional instructions about
    creating a User Lib in their workspace.

    On 01/02/2007, at 10:51 AM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    > On 01/02/2007, at 2:21 AM, Kieran Kelleher wrote:
    >
    >> What about just embedding all frameworks in your new Eclipse
    >> projects, thus eliminating dependency on the deployment
    >> environment (probably with exception of /System/Library/Frameworks
    >> stuff?
    >
    > That's called a work-a-round ;-) And of course I'm quite capable of
    > doing it... but the problem is that upon deployment of new apps
    > they'll have things in the classpath (from /Library/WebObjects/
    > Extensions) not anticipated won't they...
    >
    > I'm simply putting forward a vote (for want of a better word) for a
    > 'tick this box to enable/disable' including items in /Library/
    > WebObjects/Extensions in the classpath during development as I'd
    > like to simulate the real deployment environment that I'm working
    > with (not to mention other people too).
    >
    > Is that too much to ask? :-)
    >
    > Here's my view... the tool shouldn't dictate to me what features of
    > the runtime I can and cannot have access to. Sure provide a
    > sensible default - but don't hide from me options that are really
    > available and which sometimes can be needed.

    >>> No, not really. This thread/request is about enabling access to a
    >>> reality of the WebObjects runtime environment - regardless of
    >>> whether there's better strategies. It's of specific importance
    >>> for deployment environments where the /Library/WebObjects/
    >>> Extensions is already in use.
    >>>
    >>> To pull everything out of there would mean having to upgrade
    >>> every single application. Not fun.
    >
    > with regards,
    > --
    >
    > Lachlan Deck