Re: location of WO jars on Windows

From: Joshua Archer (joshu..dl.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 12:40:20 EDT

    Hey Anjo,

    While I appreciate and agree that we should all be Mac developers,
    this is just not a reality in the world. In our particular case, with
    our project (http://pachyderm.sourceforge.net/) , we have no choice
    but to open development to non-Mac OS X platforms, as it's an open
    source project that was started as a granted project with the
    explicit ability for cross-platform deployment and development. When
    we started the project, WO development was available and supported on
    all platforms. Now that support on all platforms for development
    tools has been deprecated, why should there be separate legal status
    for Mac OS X than non-Mac? I agree, Apple wants to sell more
    computers, but there are better ways than suing developers to do this.

    If I have to report that development is only legal on the Mac, this
    could seriously cripple the project. It's a project that's also
    gaining wide use in educational institutions, which are government-
    funded, and pay close attention to the legality of their activity.

    So, just relying on the laxity of enforcers is not really going to
    work for us. I guess it's time to lean on apple and get clarification
    on this.

    Joshua

    On Apr 18, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Anjo Krank wrote:

    > Am 18.04.2007 um 18:09 schrieb Joshua Archer:
    >
    >> It seems completely ridiculous to allow for development on Apple
    >> for free and on cross-platform open source tools, and deployment
    >> explicitly permitted on any platform, but to restrict what OS a
    >> developer decides to use when running the same IDE as they would
    >> be using on Mac OS X. Why should it be legal to copy the
    >> WebObjects libraries to a non-Mac platform for deployment, but not
    >> for development?
    >
    > Because, lemme see... oh yeah, I got it! Apple want to sell
    > computers to developers!
    >
    > Now I'm pretty sure that the Apple Cubicle Police will not come
    > after you if you decide (foolishly) to develop on Windows. It's
    > more that if you are accountable to some higher ups, you may have a
    > problem.
    >
    > Cheers, Anjo

    -----
    Joshua Archer
    Software Engineer, CSU - Center for Distributed Learning
    Phone: 707.664.2085, Fax: 707.664.4350
    -----