Re: location of WO jars on Windows

From: Stephen Edwards (edward..s.vt.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 13:32:49 EDT

    Joshua Archer wrote:
    > That can't possibly be true, can it?

    This discussion doesn't have anything to do with woproject, so
    it would probably be better to move it over to webobjects-dev
    instead.

    That said, it certainly was true prior to WO 5.3. 5.2.x
    was not free, and sold with a single-machine developer license
    key and a single-machine deployment license key (they don't have
    to be on the same machine). The license terms restricted you
    to single-machine use of each license key. Of course, the
    distribution CDs came with Windows, Solaris, and Mac versions
    of the WO tools, so you could install on the platform of your
    choice, as long as you only installed a given license key
    on one machine.

    When 5.3 was first announced, the idea that it was included
    free as part of XCode made a lot of people happy, but there
    was also a big stir about the license changes, which seemed
    to imply development and deployment were only for OS X. Search
    the webobjects-dev archive (or Google) for more info on
    the controversy. Later, Apple revised their license terms
    to permit free deployment/distribution of WebObjects applications
    to any platform (in 5.3.3, I think). This made lots of people
    happy, since most WO developers are using Macs for development
    anyway, this made the license pretty generous.

    However, the original question from Peter Wilkins was different:

    >>> Can someone now either point me to a way to get WOLips to work on
    >>> Windows without purchasing the Windows version of WO from Apple

    I haven't checked the details in the XCode license (which I think
    includes the WO developer's terms), but I do believe this would not
    be allowed. Is that surprising? I'm certainly not an expert, but
    the conservative consensus seems to be that 5.3 development is
    OS X-only. As Anjo said, there probably aren't any enforcers from
    Apple that are going to come after you, but this is an item of
    concern for those who are working on open-source projects where
    the community of developers includes more than just Mac users.

    -- Steve

    Virginia Tech, CS Dept. Web-CAT: Web-based Center for Software Testing
    660 McBryde Hall (0106) Automatic grading using student-written tests
    Blacksburg, VA 24061 USA http://web-cat.sourceforge.net/
    (540)-231-5723 http://people.cs.vt.edu/~edwards/