Re: Debugging a Framework

From: Zak Burke (zdbw..artmouth.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2007 - 22:20:46 EDT

    Chuck Hill wrote on 4/23/07 12:19 PM:
    > That is Mike Scrhag's tip, IIRC. I just copied it into the Wiki for him.
    >
    > Chuck
    >
    > On Apr 23, 2007, at 3:43 AM, Andrew Lindesay wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Chuck;
    >>
    >> I was reading your Wiki entry...
    >>
    >> http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Debug+Code+in+a+Framework

    Here's a wrinkle with that that drove me crazy for a few hours last
    week:

    Say you have a framework with a model and an app that uses the
    framework. Then you make a change to the model and click WOLips Ant
    Tools -> deploy, and then build your app. Then you decide the change
    was a bad idea and you replace your changed model files with those
    from your repository.

    Here's the tricky part: when you deploy the framework, ant (or is it
    Eclipse, or WOLips?) will see that the model files in your
    deployment directory are NEWER than those you just pulled out of the
    repository, therefore leaving your deployed framework in a different
    state than your local build directory. Doing a clean build doesn't
    help because, of course, the model doesn't get compiled so its
    timestamp isn't updated.

    So what kind of error is this? A bug in ant? In Eclipse? In WOLips?
    Or is it just a PEBKAC* error? Once I figured out what was going on,
    the whole problem became obvious. Ah, hindsight; the smack on the
    forehead after the kick in the pants. All I had to do was clean the
    deployment directory in addition to the build directory, but man,
    what pain before I figured that out.

    zak.

    * Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair