Re: [OS-JIRA] Created: (WOL-407) Entity Modeler -> please default new attributes with locking=false and allows_null=true

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 12:40:53 EDT

    > e.g., Clicking on the "Add new attribute" button five times in a
    > row would take longer than 5 seconds to populate. Beach-ball city
    > after a while... and clicking each of the attributes locking to
    > untick the ones I wanted unticked, took too long also. Too much
    > mouse clicking.
    OK in the next commit:

    (I'll move these enhancements over into wod and html editors also) --
    apparently when you create error/warning markers on a resource, if
    you don't do that in a workspace job, it will fire a single
    notification event for every one, each of which causes the problems
    view to reload entirely .. these batch into a single event now.

    * adding/removing anything that has a table view is about 2x faster
    for reasonably large data sets (i was lazy and just refreshing the
    entire table view when structure changed rather than computing the
    differences and removing/adding individual rows)

    * something else i forgot now

    The BIG BIG BIG one, though, appears to be the preferences panels.
    It appears that constructing those things is really expensive. This
    is actually the killer for clicking new attribute 5x in a row
    (although that is 2x faster now, that's still not cool). For
    comparison, close your Preferences view completely with Entity
    Modeler open and you'll see a MUCH faster repeat rate on those
    operations. I'm not exactly sure what I'll do about this one at the
    moment, but I might end up dropping the preference view and doing a
    custom view instead that i can cache (those dynamically build each
    time they display). I want to look into exactly what part is taking
    time on it now, because it's kind of a handy API, but given that
    things like the tab structure don't actually change often, it might
    not be a big deal to manually construct them up front.

    ms