Re: [OS-JIRA] Created: (WOL-407) Entity Modeler -> please default new attributes with locking=false and allows_null=true

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 19:19:47 EDT

    Hi Mike,

    On 28/04/2007, at 1:16 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >> as an aside, and the reason why this bug report was lodged, was
    >> especially because I found that the more entities I added to the
    >> model the slower Entity Modeler was, with all the notifications
    >> and whatever it was doing in the background (I suppose verifying
    >> the model with every action). Thus, little things like this became
    >> increasingly irritating as it was just another thing that slowed
    >> the process down for modelling the entities.
    > This is a bigger bug report to me than the locking issue (though I
    > can just make a preference pane with a default value).

    Fair enough.

    >> e.g., Clicking on the "Add new attribute" button five times in a
    >> row would take longer than 5 seconds to populate. Beach-ball city
    >> after a while... and clicking each of the attributes locking to
    >> untick the ones I wanted unticked, took too long also. Too much
    >> mouse clicking.
    > I've never gotten a beach ball in EM.

    Perhaps I had too many other applications open and was getting some
    memory paging happening.

    > What kind of machine are you on?

    Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz, 1 Gb Ram.

    > How big of a model and model group are we talking: model count,
    > entities in the active model, attributes in the entity?

    MyEOPrototypes

    MyFramework/ (MyEOPrototypes as dependent project)
            Resources/
                    ModelGroup:
                    ModelA: 24 entities in the end
                    ModelB: 6 entities in the end
                    29 attributes in largest entity

    Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse.ini:
    -vmargs
    -Xdock:icon=../Resources/Eclipse.icns
    -XstartOnFirstThread
    -Xbootclasspath/p:../../../plugins/
    org.eclipse.jdt.debug_3.2.0.v20060605/jdi.jar
    -Xms40m
    -Xmx512m
    -XX:PermSize=256m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
    -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts
    -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.noFocusRing

    There are 10 open projects/frameworks in the workspace...

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck