development vs deployment mode, deployment process.

From: Jonathan Ricker (jricke..t.edu)
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 07:04:44 EDT

    Hi,

    I'm working on upgrading all our apps to using wolips/eclipse. I've
    been deploying the apps by running the build.xml script on my
    development machine and simply copying the application to the
    server. (dev machine, os x, deployment on solaris).

    I just noticed that when I try to Refuse New Sessions from Java
    Monitor on a deployment, I get:

    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot refuse new
    sessions when in development mode (direct connect enabled)
             at com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication.refuseNewSessions
    (WOApplication.java:2551)
             at er.extensions.ERXApplication.refuseNewSessions
    (ERXApplication.java:707)
             at
    com.webobjects.appserver.WOAdminAction.instanceRequestAction
    (WOAdminAction.java:85)
             at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor32.invoke(Unknown Source)
    (DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
             at com.webobjects.appserver.WODirectAction.performActionNamed
    (WODirectAction.java:128)
             at
    com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOActionRequestHandler._handleRequest(
    WOActionRequestHandler.java:240)

    I'm sure I can solve this by simply adding
    WODirectConnectEnabled=false, but it brings me to another question.

    My question relates to how WO determines whether it is in development
    or direct connect mode. The WebObjects Deployment guide says the
    default setting for WODirectConnectEnabled is "true during
    application development, false when an application instance runs as
    part of a deployment." Does this apply to an app built with
    woproject/wolips as well, or do I need to set WODirectConnectEnabled
    explicitly for all the deployments?

    Thanks for any help/insights on this question.

    -- Jonathan