Re: new html editor

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 12:11:56 EDT

    > Is this conversation is moving in the direction of deeper changes
    > to the "WebObjects HTML" than the simple <wo abbreviation and OGnl
    > enhancements?
    >
    > Is it sacrilege for me to suggest that some of us write up a
    > proposal (deadline WWDC) that we take to the larger community? I
    > know many have 'given up' on Apple, but they still hold a measure
    > of control over the product that makes me nervous when we consider
    > forking a WOLips special specification for the HTML. With ideas
    > and code changes in WOLips coming fast in this area, I wouldn't
    > want us to paint ourselves into a corner.
    >
    > Maybe all the key players are already in this mailing list, and
    > maybe any such fork in the HTML can still be coped with by the
    > overload of the shipping parser, but I am concerned about the day
    > that someone not using the WOLips inherits my code, or (gasp) the
    > day Apple rewrites WOBuilder (dreaming) ... Gav
    * WOLips and Wonder don't mandate that you change anything about your
    template coding style. Wonder provides optional support for an
    inline binding syntax that you can turn on should you choose to. As
    a result, I also desire support in the template validator for these
    as well. If you don't use them, the validator doesn't validate
    them. Win-win there.

    * If you want validation of your templates in WOLips, which is also
    purely optional -- you can turn it off in wod preferences if you
    don't like it for whatever reason -- the issue of "bad templates" has
    to be addressed in some way. The most obvious way is to say "don't
    do it." This is the stance I'm still taking at this point and is
    obviously perfectly in line with Apple's released platform. However,
    I'm willing to entertain validator hints that don't impact runtime
    parsing (like comment syntax hints for closing tags), or possibly
    adding additional attributes to <webobject ... > tags because the WO
    parser does not care about these.

    * As long as I'm one of the people working on it, I will always
    support parsing core framework out-of-the-box templates for whatever
    the current platform release is. Note this even means that I added
    support for the bullshit invalid unquoted name=Whatever webobject
    attributes that WOBuilder (used to? still does? who knows ...)
    generates.

    * I have not given up on Apple. They will carry forward with the
    plans they have. I feel confident that WOLips is well-positioned to
    support future platform enhancements. I think it's a reasonable
    assumption for one to make that if Apple declares its own tools
    deprecated and development of future tools to be in WOLips, that
    development of WOLips would not be done blindly in this regard. That
    Apple does not make its future plans public, but its tools are
    developed in the open obviously makes this a bit of a curiosity to
    watch.

    ms