Re: WOD Editor/ WOBuilder Bindings

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 14:03:20 EDT

    On May 7, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    > I can't speak for the other committers, but I won't spend any of my
    > time supporting WOBuilder. It's going away and any time spent
    > would be wasted effort that could be spent making the core tools
    > nicer. I know this isn't what many people want to hear, but it's
    > just the reality. EOModeler and WOBuilder are on life support and
    > the plug is going to be pulled. It would behoove you to get used
    > to the editing style in WOLips. I have plenty of complicated
    > pages, and I don't have any issues editing them without WOBuilder.

    One trap that I have seen people fall into is to be lazy and not name
    the bindings. You can sort of get away with this using WOBuilder's
    WYSIWYG view. You end up with stuff like

    <WebObject name="Conditional1"><WebObject
    name="Conditional2"><WebObject name="String1"></WebObject>,
    <WebObject name="String2"></WebObject><WebObject
    name="Conditional3"><WebObject name="Link1"> <WebObject
    name="String3"></WebObject></WebObject></WebObject></WebObject></
    WebObject>

    Which is pretty hard to maintain in WOComponent Editor. This is the
    HTML/WOD equivalent of
    int a=1;int b=2;int c=3; if(a<=b)....

    You get what you deserve! Name things so that they can be understood
    and maintained and format the..$%! HTML and suddenly WOComponent
    Editor becomes a very powerful tool.

    Add in this and I don't miss WOBuilder at all:

    > There any lots of ways you can view them in an easier way ... You
    > can view your template with the outline view, you can use code
    > collapsing in the HTML editor to collapse away tags that aren't
    > useful to you at the moment. There is completion is just about
    > everything now. Andrew Lindesay is working on some palettes for
    > the component editor, also, so that should make the process a
    > little nicer for transitioning people as well.

    Chuck