Re: Beware BBEdit HTML Formatting with inline ognl tags

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 17:29:24 EDT

    > Anyway on this fix: while I think that Mike's wo:whatever is cool,
    > I'd be extremely careful with it for the time being. Firstly, for
    > simple things with single or two value bindings they might make
    > things easier, but more than that will make things utterly unreadable.
    Well, when I first added them, it came with the tagline "with great
    power comes great responsibility" ... I really only like them, for
    the most part, on conditionals, strings, and other tags that don't
    really have more than 3 bindings. That and it's useful if you load
    dynamic templates out of the db and just want a single string value
    for the template.

    > But secondly, these are totally arbitrary constructs of one
    > creative (if a bit over-active and sleep deprived) mind. No way you
    > will be able to share code with people unless all of you agree on sth.
    Well, no more so than all the rest of Project Wonder. I can't share
    code that relies on PW's fixes for NSMutableArray unless the other
    person also has Wonder's fixed NSMutableArray. Or for that matter
    WOOGNL core ... If you use OGNL in your bindings, other people have
    to have WOOGNL to use it.

    Now if you're referring specifically to using custom tag shortcuts,
    then I agree more, because it's really easy to accidentally not
    register a shortcut in an app and it just quietly fails. But then,
    I'm also not sharing code all that often except when I'm writing for
    PW itself, in which case I use the common syntax.

    What I WOULD say is that the more of these low level features you
    adopt, the more you tie yourself to Project Wonder and the further
    you deviate from Apple's released plan. If Apple decides to update
    the core frameworks and replace template parsing with something
    fancier, you are potentially left with whatever features we choose to
    add to template parsing vs what Apple adds because we have replaced
    the template parser. But this is also sort of true of Project Wonder
    in lots of places, too.

    ms