Re: WOL-369

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 02:45:52 EDT

  • Next message: Kieran Kelleher: "Re: [OS-JIRA] Commented: (WOL-425) Improvement for "Add new Entity index" - allow highlighted attribute(s) to populate 'name' and 'attributes' fields of new index."

    >> I don't believe EOModeler can produce vertical inheritance
    >> automatically (only single table or horizontal).
    >
    > While that's true - it only takes a second to change it to
    > vertical. e.g.,
    > 1) Create EntityA (with attributes id and name).
    > 2) Select EntityA and choose Property > Create Subclass.
    > 3) select new entity and change it's names to EntityB.
    >
    > Note that the inherited attributes are simply italicised.
    >
    >> If you're seeing italicized, that would be horizontal or single
    >> table inheritance. I believe vertical requires all flattened
    >> attributes, which would be bold.
    >
    > Not unless I'm mistaken.
    I think you might be ... What you've done in your example above is to
    create a single table inheritance (possibly a horizontal table
    inheritance depending on the value that EOModeler defaults to for the
    table name on the new entity). Vertical is implemented as a join
    across two tables, so I'm fairly certain you have to flatten the
    attributes into the subclass entity.

    ms