New to Eclipse and WOLips, what happens?

From: Johan Henselmans (joha..etsense.nl)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 08:53:35 EDT

    OK, I've bitten the bullet and decided the next project will be done
    in Eclipse and WOLips.

    And now I remember why I did not do it before. I first tried to set
    up Eclipse. Problem with 3.2.2 was that the help function did not
    work. And the updates did not work. On a hunch, I tried running
    Eclipse under admin privileges. Now updates do work.

    I download WOLips from http://webobjects.mdimension.com/WOLips/
    stable/ and install WOLips. Still no help.

    Then I decide to install Eclipse 3.3M7, seeing if it is any better in
    the help department. Again, installing as an admin user, then
    installing WOLips. It works.

    Then (in 3.3m7) I start a new WOFramework, to get the BusinessLogic
    in one place. Let's call it BuL.Framework. Then I start the new
    EOModel in the Framework. I use the Wizard to create a model in the
    Framework.

    First I get a message with title "EOModel Verification Failures" that
    says: "Creating empty EOModelGroup for this model because BuL does
    not exist."

    I click OK, no other options.

    I get an error: "Error while creating resource reason: Bul does not
    exist. "

    I click OK, no other options.

    I am back in the Create Enterprise Model wizard.

    Again I click on finish, and get the "EOModel Verification Failures"
    thas says: "There's already a model in /Users/johan/Documents/
    workspace/Bul/MyEOModel.eomodeld.

    Hmm.

    I click on OK. I am back in Package Explorer, with a folder MyEOModel
    EOModel, a MyEOModel.eogen file and a MyEOModel.eomodelgrouo.

    I click on the folder MyEOModel EOModel, and get the following error:

    Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the
    failure: Failed to create EOModelEditorInput for
    org.eclipse.ui.part.FileEditorInput(/BuL/MyEOModel.eomodeld/
    index.eomodeld).
       BuL does not exist

    That for Eclipse 3.3, with the help.

    So I decide to use Eclipse 3.2.2, without the help. I recognizes my
    BuL project, but clicking the Help does not reveal anything. So I
    click on MyEoModel. Unfortunately, I have somehow screwed up the view
    and I only get a full window with Entity Modeler back. How do I get
    the view back that is in the manual that I can only read in Eclipse 3.3?

    I find a small button in the upper right corner, that says: Other.
    There I find the WOLips perspective back. But every time I click on
    the Model, it gives me the strange perspective, with the Name/Table
    Name/Class Name and Parent name. I then discover the Open In New
    Window contextual Menu option, that opens a new window in the
    perspective that is in the manual.

    "Hurrah!! and all that", as Blackadder's empty headed companion would
    say.

    On the bottom there is a small green messages that says: "Read Me
    Trim (Bottom)".

    On the menu items I find the button reverse engineer. However, in the
    Default Config connection properties I am not able to use prototypes
    (should I have added ERPrototypes to the Framework?) but I do manage
    to set up the connection and get the tables and relations in the
    project. I get a whole lot of error messages while saving that I
    should not have put a relation value to not be able to be null while
    not making it a mandatory relation.

    I... must... use... prototpyes....
    ,
    so I get back to step one, I create a Wonder Framework, and now the
    Eomodel gets created without any complaints. Also, I can now use the
    EOJDCBPostgresPrototypes, that I want to use. ONce again, a reverse
    engineering import, and I seem to have a basic WonderBuL framework,
    and I would like to use it for a direct to Web Application.

    So on to deploying this basic framework. After some searching (no
    project->deployment option) I dsicover that there is a build folder.
    The things I see there look famliar. So I copy the framework to /
    Library/Frameworks. Mind you, it is only an Eomodel for the moment in
    the Framework.

    According to the documentation, I should be able to select the
    Framework by clicking on the configure buttton on the conectextual
    menu with the mousepointer over the WO Frameworks in my WonderBul
    project. Unfortunately, it does not show up. Frameworks without jars
    are apparently no frameworks according to Eclipse/WoLipses logic.

    It is now a few hours later, I just wanted to do make a simple
    BusinessLogic Framework and do some direct to web formatting and
    discover the capabilities of Eclipse.

    How do you guys get any work done?

    Regards,

    Johan Henselmans