Re: New to Eclipse and WOLips, what happens?

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 09:52:19 EDT

    Hi there,

    On 16/05/2007, at 10:53 PM, Johan Henselmans wrote:

    > OK, I've bitten the bullet and decided the next project will be
    > done in Eclipse and WOLips.
    >
    > And now I remember why I did not do it before. I first tried to set
    > up Eclipse. Problem with 3.2.2 was that the help function did not
    > work. And the updates did not work. On a hunch, I tried running
    > Eclipse under admin privileges. Now updates do work.
    >
    > I download WOLips from http://webobjects.mdimension.com/WOLips/
    > stable/ and install WOLips. Still no help.

    Follow the instructions for installing WOLips here:
    http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Install+WOLips+with
    +Eclipse+Update+Manager

    i.e., your update url ought to be:
    http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/nightly

    > Then I decide to install Eclipse 3.3M7, seeing if it is any better
    > in the help department. Again, installing as an admin user, then
    > installing WOLips. It works.

    WOLips doesn't work with 3.3 properly yet. 3.2.2 is the way to go for
    now.

    > <...>
    > How do you guys get any work done?

    :-)

    At first (when switching to Eclipse) the simple answer is you don't.
    It's simply unfamiliar territory at first.

    I suggest you follow the tutorial linked at the bottom of the above
    wiki link as a starting point (or have you already?). Refer to other
    topics here also:
    http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Tutorials

    That ought to get you further. It'll take a little while but it will
    be worth it. If it's any consolation the inbuilt help has some useful
    things (much of it is not up to date though) but most useful info is
    found on the wiki.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck