Re: New to Eclipse and WOLips, what happens?

From: Q (qdola..mail.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 09:52:34 EDT

    On 16/05/2007, at 10:53 PM, Johan Henselmans wrote:

    > OK, I've bitten the bullet and decided the next project will be
    > done in Eclipse and WOLips.
    >
    > And now I remember why I did not do it before. I first tried to set
    > up Eclipse. Problem with 3.2.2 was that the help function did not
    > work. And the updates did not work. On a hunch, I tried running
    > Eclipse under admin privileges. Now updates do work.

    the "Help contents" uses your web browser and a build in web server
    to display the help documentation, if eclipse is unable to launch
    your web browser, or it's internal web server, this might explain the
    lack of help. Check the output from console.app to see if eclipse is
    complaining about anything that might prevent the help from working.

    If updates are not working try change the ownership of the eclipse
    application (and all sub folders and files) to the user you are
    running it as.

    > I download WOLips from http://webobjects.mdimension.com/WOLips/
    > stable/ and install WOLips. Still no help.
    >
    > Then I decide to install Eclipse 3.3M7, seeing if it is any better
    > in the help department. Again, installing as an admin user, then
    > installing WOLips. It works.
    >
    > Then (in 3.3m7) I start a new WOFramework, to get the BusinessLogic
    > in one place. Let's call it BuL.Framework. Then I start the new
    > EOModel in the Framework. I use the Wizard to create a model in the
    > Framework.
    >
    > First I get a message with title "EOModel Verification Failures"
    > that says: "Creating empty EOModelGroup for this model because BuL
    > does not exist."
    >
    > I click OK, no other options.
    >
    > I get an error: "Error while creating resource reason: Bul does not
    > exist. "
    >
    > I click OK, no other options.
    >
    > I am back in the Create Enterprise Model wizard.
    >
    > Again I click on finish, and get the "EOModel Verification
    > Failures" thas says: "There's already a model in /Users/johan/
    > Documents/workspace/Bul/MyEOModel.eomodeld.

    Did you really use two different capitalisation's for the same name
    (ie. BuL and Bul), because HFS+ will cause you much pain if you do
    this. To eclipse they are not the same thing, everything is case
    sensitive, but HFS+ thinks that Bul and BuL are one in the same.

    > Hmm.
    >
    > I click on OK. I am back in Package Explorer, with a folder
    > MyEOModel EOModel, a MyEOModel.eogen file and a
    > MyEOModel.eomodelgrouo.
    >
    > I click on the folder MyEOModel EOModel, and get the following error:
    >
    > Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the
    > failure: Failed to create EOModelEditorInput for
    > org.eclipse.ui.part.FileEditorInput(/BuL/MyEOModel.eomodeld/
    > index.eomodeld).
    > BuL does not exist
    >
    > That for Eclipse 3.3, with the help.
    >
    > So I decide to use Eclipse 3.2.2, without the help. I recognizes my
    > BuL project, but clicking the Help does not reveal anything. So I
    > click on MyEoModel. Unfortunately, I have somehow screwed up the
    > view and I only get a full window with Entity Modeler back. How do
    > I get the view back that is in the manual that I can only read in
    > Eclipse 3.3?
    >
    > I find a small button in the upper right corner, that says: Other.
    > There I find the WOLips perspective back. But every time I click on
    > the Model, it gives me the strange perspective, with the Name/Table
    > Name/Class Name and Parent name. I then discover the Open In New
    > Window contextual Menu option, that opens a new window in the
    > perspective that is in the manual.

    There should be a '>>' icon in the top right you can use to switch
    between open perspectives if you end up with an unexpected view.

    > ,
    > so I get back to step one, I create a Wonder Framework, and now the
    > Eomodel gets created without any complaints. Also, I can now use
    > the EOJDCBPostgresPrototypes, that I want to use. ONce again, a
    > reverse engineering import, and I seem to have a basic WonderBuL
    > framework, and I would like to use it for a direct to Web Application.
    >
    > So on to deploying this basic framework. After some searching (no
    > project->deployment option) I dsicover that there is a build
    > folder. The things I see there look famliar. So I copy the
    > framework to /Library/Frameworks. Mind you, it is only an Eomodel
    > for the moment in the Framework.

    This is not the way to build the framework for deployment. What you
    are looking for is "WOLips Ant Tools->Install" from the project's
    context menu in the package explorer.

    > According to the documentation, I should be able to select the
    > Framework by clicking on the configure buttton on the conectextual
    > menu with the mousepointer over the WO Frameworks in my WonderBul
    > project. Unfortunately, it does not show up. Frameworks without
    > jars are apparently no frameworks according to Eclipse/WoLipses logic.

    This is probably the case if you don't build the framework properly.

    > It is now a few hours later, I just wanted to do make a simple
    > BusinessLogic Framework and do some direct to web formatting and
    > discover the capabilities of Eclipse.
    >
    > How do you guys get any work done?

    Try the tutorials and wiki for additional information:

    http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Tutorials

    --
    Seeya...Q

    Quinton Dolan - qdola..mail.com Gold Coast, QLD, Australia Ph: +61 419 729 806