Re: New to Eclipse and WOLips, what happens?

From: Kieran Kelleher (kieran_list..ac.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 10:08:04 EDT

    "Tribal knowledge" gets work done ....... tribal knowledge is
    available on this list and on the WOLips wiki.

    Seriously though .... if you lurk on this list, you get a feel for
    what the do's and don't are. For example do not deploy from the build
    folder, use build.xml -> right-click -> Install (all this is in the
    tutorials). Frameworks without jars don't work (I forget whether
    WOProject build makes an empty jar for you or not, if not, just make
    a dummy class MyFrameworkDummy.java in the framework).

    Once you get past your first week of stumbling and tripping and
    asking questions on the list, you will be going very fast, believe
    me. It's like the space shuttle ... figuring out the controls takes a
    little time, but once you take off it is a fast pace with no looking
    back ..... and you *will* feel like you are using real development
    tools that understand your java project better than you do.

    Once your brain is assimilated to WOLips/Eclipse you'll be doing all
    kinds of funky stuff like bash scripts that automatically build all
    your frameworks using ant -woproject.jar and installing and deploying
    stuff automatically. You'll be cleaning up your code and refactoring
    and feeling real good about wo development life and how easy it is to
    make WebObjects apps and frameworks.

    Don't give up .... no going back ...... ask questions and use the
    tutorials on the wiki ....... resistance is futile ;-)

    Regards, Kieran

    PS. I am on Eclipse 3.2.1, java 1.5 and latest WOLips/Wonder and I
    have no problems. In general follow the crowd with regards Eclipse
    and java versions if you want an easy life. If not sure which highest
    version of Eclipse is compatible with WOLips, ask here or check the
    wiki.