Re: WOL-369

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 10:47:08 EDT

    On 16/05/2007, at 5:33 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >> I am finding however that when exporting sql from the model that
    >> if the parent entity is marked as abstract that I'm still getting
    >> a statement to create its table. Why would that be?
    > As far as table layout, for vertical, there should still be the
    > parent class table because you would still need to be able to join
    > to the parent table to pickup its shared attributes (shared among
    > multiple subclasses). For Horizontal, though, I suspect it depends
    > on your database. I think you may still get a table creation
    > because of PK generation ... I seem to recall that FrontBase needs
    > to have the table there to generate ids that are unique across all
    > subclasses -- I have a really hazy memory of Chuck mentioning this
    > a while back ... or maybe I'm confabulating the entire thing.

    Thanks for that.

    Okay - now just one last note on the original bug report: despite
    what the pics in the EOModeler Guide would have you believe,
    flattening attributes from a parent entity into a child entity does
    not give you a valid model except if the name of the flattened
    attributes are the same as that of the parent entity. So if the
    parent entity has an attribute called 'firstName' then so must the
    child entity. The child entity will be regarded as invalid if the
    name is 'person_firstName' because as far as validation goes it's
    missing the firstName attribute.

    I get the following (from EOModeler) for the Employee entity when the
    model is valid (and doing a quick check via D2W that it works)...
    <...>
    {
         allowsNull = Y;
         definition = "person.lastName";
         externalType = text;
         internalInfo = {"_nameInObjectStore" = lastName; };
         name = lastName;
         valueClassName = NSString;
         valueType = S;
    },