Re: Why use maven for WO development?

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Fri May 18 2007 - 13:27:56 EDT

    On May 18, 2007, at 5:31 AM, Q wrote:

    > Ok, I understand how ant plays with woproject, wolips and WO
    > development in general, but I have not yet explored the utility of
    > using maven in any depth, but I feel that from what I have heard
    > about it in the past, it's something I should at least explore to
    > some degree.
    >
    > I have briefly looked at the maven documentation, and the woproject
    > maven documentation, and they cover HOW to use maven, and set it
    > up, but one thing that is not immediately clear to someone who is
    > not yet familiar with maven, is WHY I should consider using maven
    > at all? It's fine to say maven makes things easy, uses standard
    > conventions, is fun or whatever, but ant does a pretty decent job,
    > so I am curious where the benefits lie.
    >
    > Is using maven for WO development a solution worth considering over
    > using Ant, or is it simply a different way of doing the same thing?
    > Are there any compelling reasons why one should invest the time to
    > learn to use maven?

    I have asked this a few times of a few people and have yet to get a
    response that made we want to use Maven. I have used it a bit before
    and it seems to add levels of complexity that I don't see the need
    for. If anyone has any compelling reason, I also would like to hear
    of them. Until then, Ant is simple, streamlined, and easy to use and
    I will stick with that.

    Chuck