Re: Why use maven for WO development?

From: Henrique Prange (hprang..mail.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2007 - 15:34:22 EDT

    Hi Q,

    This week I have read a very interesting article called "Investing in
    Software Build Infrastructure with Maven" [1] and talks about Maven,
    Ant, Eclipse and build infrastructure.

    I think convention over configuration and dependency management is a
    very handy feature. Of course, it could not be enough to make someone
    change his mind about the build infrastructure.

    So, I'll talk about how we used to operate here in our company. We used
    WOLips with Ant since it was developed for Eclipse 2.1 (more than 3
    years ago). We didn't have a large team of developers. However, if more
    than one developer had to work together, we had a problem. The classpath
    was not valid for everybody or one developer didn't have the Jar for a
    dependency. With Maven this problem doesn't happen anymore.

    We also used to use a version control system. We had a centralized
    repository; we used to do commits, updates and more. Occasionally, we
    used to do some tags too. In fact, we didn't have a real version
    control. It was not easy, i.e., to build a specific version different
    from the trunk. With Maven we have tags for each version on SVN and each
    version is build (as a jar, war or tgz in the case of WebObjects) into
    our local repository. If someone needs an old version just change the
    version in the project's POM.

    Did I mention how much time we spent to successfully deploy an
    application? Deploy is not automated by maven-wolifecycle-plugin yet,
    but we are working in that direction. :) Anyway, now is much easier to
    deploy than used to be before.

    In fact, you could tell us we can do all this work using Ant and Eclipse
    and you are absolutely right. But I tell you that now, using Maven, we
    are not wasting time with manual and error prone tasks. And the better
    thing, we have to configure almost nothing. We have a parent POM with
    the basic configuration and we share it with every project.

    If you think you don't have any of the difficult described above, Maven
    will only be a new problem for you. But if you have the feeling that the
    problems described are similar to yours, Maven could be a very useful tool.

    [1]http://meopedia.com/en/InvestingInInfrastructure

    Cheers,

    Henrique

    --