Re: Why use maven for WO development?

From: Henrique Prange (hprang..mail.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2007 - 21:46:11 EDT

    You are right. But Maven 2 can work well for more than just a demo...

    We are using Maven 2 for more or less one year. The three first months
    was really difficult. We had to configure an internal repository. We had
    to learn how to use some plug-ins and, at the same time, we didn't have
    any support for building WebObjects applications.

    Nowadays, we still suffer with the lack of integration with Eclipse and
    we have problems with resources inside of Jars that are not supported by
    WOLips. Except for these problems things are working well.

    We have made projects with submodules, using WebObjects, AspectJ, J2EE,
    Swing and EclipseRCP (the last one is tricky to configure). The projects
    are continuously integrated using Continuum [1]. We have an internal
    repository for artifacts that is managed by Proximity [2].

    Probably I am the only one here happy with the tool, I know. But I see,
    in this one year of experience, that I had several problems because of
    my own mistakes. Not because of a fault in the tool.

    One of the great advantages of Maven 2 is convention over configuration.
    I see many people complaining that they need to write a lot of XML and
    that many things do not function, but simply do not embrace the standard
    structure recommended by Maven. If you do not adopt the standard
    structure, certainly you will have to write more XML and more problems
    may arise.

    A suggestion for who want to start using Maven now is to use version
    2.0.5 instead of the latest 2.0.6 version. There is a bug [3][4] in the
    latest version that prevents the build of projects with multiple modules
    in some circumstances. The Project Wonder, for example, cannot be build
    correctly with this version. It does not mean that Maven 2 does not
    work. It is only a version that has a bug.

    I am certain that Maven 2 is not perfect, but that it is going in the
    right way. Switching to Maven 2, as well as any other great change (for
    example, switching from Xcode to WOLips), requires caution and preparation.

    [1] http://maven.apache.org/continuum/
    [2] http://proximity.abstracthorizon.org/
    [3] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2921
    [4] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2959