project templates

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 23:09:49 EDT

    Currently we have two primary templates that you can start a project
    with -- WOApplication/WOFramework and WOnder Application/WOnder
    Framework. I would like to propose that we just have one template
    set, and I propose that the one should be the WOnder style.

    In almost every respect it is better than the previous defaults.
    It's WAY easier for new folks to begin working on projects. You
    don't have to think about includes and excludes -- You just put
    things in the right folders and it works. Note that these templates
    really have nothing to do with Wonder, it just happens to be the
    Wonder project layout. Obviously this has zero impact on existing
    projects, only new projects going forward. At the very least, I
    believe Wonder should be the default style, but in the long run it's
    much less confusing to go ahead and scrap the original templates and
    present just the wonder versions.

    I have been building all of my projects with this for several months,
    and obviously Wonder itself uses them, and it really is painless in
    comparison ... With the non-Wonder templates, I always had to play
    the guessing game of wondering if resources/wsr will end up in the
    right place. With Wonder, it Just Works (TM). There is also the
    potential of being able to further integrate Wonder's very nice
    (thanks Anjo) ant build system in the future, but given that I mostly
    hate ant, I don't want to think too much about that part :)

    ms