Re: A few simple questions...

From: Riccardo De Menna (demenn..dm-web.com)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2007 - 14:35:21 EDT

    On 09/giu/07, at 19:35, Chuck Hill wrote:

    >>> Not sure about that. I always change the model then create a
    >>> script to update the database. There is a set of very nice
    >>> classes in Wonder to automatically update schemas for you. I
    >>> don't recall the name at the moment...
    >> Reverse engineering exists, but schema sync does not right now.
    >> This is mainly because 1) I don't use it and 2) it doesn't
    >> ACTUALLY solve the problem (just a piece of it). I'm guessing
    >> Chuck is referring to the migrations stuff in Wonder. It's
    >> actually not automatic, it's more about the automatic MANAGEMENT
    >> of the process.
    >
    > Yes, that is what I was referring to and what I meant by
    > "automatic". Need more coffee. Mike is right,
    > syncronizeWithSchema does not solve anything. Work from your
    > model and script (and test!) the db changes.

    Ok I'll look into some easy way to update my db's but I will miss
    that function... during the early stages of any project I tackle I
    keep changing the model non stop as I figure out the best way to do
    things. If at any rebuild I had to reinsert some "basic" data every
    time to make it work (for example a user record to access some
    restricted area) it would be really slow.
    In the meanwhile I'll check if I can copy my model and feed it to
    EOModeler so that he generates the SQL lines for me and then execute
    them manually.

    Ric