Re: Question about doesContain: selector and EOModeler

From: Stephen Edwards (edward..s.vt.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 22:40:58 EDT

    Mike Schrag wrote:
    > Does this selector actually work properly anywhere but in-memory?

    Good question--I'm using it on in-memory filtering in
    this situation, where it does work correctly (and isEqualTo:
    doesn't). My memory (which isn't trustworthy) is that
    doesContain: works when used alone, but when multiple clauses
    are or'ed--which is often the case for me--it fails. The
    EOF-generated SQL for database fetches produces incorrect results.
    The generated SQL produces a simultaneous join on all the
    required entities (good for and, evil for or). Of course,
    I haven't dug around in that stuff for a long time, so I
    could be mistaken ...

    > This
    > is one of the api mismatches between cayenne and eof, actually.

    Is there something else I should use instead? IIRC, doesContain:
    wasn't actually supported by the query builder in EOModeler (in WO)
    either. Since I much prefer Entity Modeler, I thought I would
    ask. On the one hand, I don't know how to write these fetch
    specs without doesContain:, and I don't want to hard-code them
    in Java either. On the other hand, I don't want to go without
    such an incredibly useful tool as Entity Modeler! It (like everything
    about WOLips) is a nice piece of work.

    -- Steve

    Virginia Tech, CS Dept. Web-CAT: Web-based Center for Software Testing
    660 McBryde Hall (0106) Automatic grading using student-written tests
    Blacksburg, VA 24061 USA http://web-cat.sourceforge.net/
    (540)-231-5723 http://people.cs.vt.edu/~edwards/