Building frameworks in Eclipse vs. Xcode

From: Joshua Archer (joshu..dl.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 12:56:42 EDT

    Hey everyone,

    So I'm finally walking the walk and trying to convert all my code
    over to Eclipse, because frankly I really *do* like it better, but
    i'm still running into snags every now and again.

    For example, I've got a framework that serves as a plug-in for one of
    my apps, and it's building slightly differently in eclipse than in
    xcode, and that difference is apparently causing issues with my app
    not finding the framework at run-time. There are some files and
    directory structure differences, and I thought I'd ask what the
    significance of the differences are, and how I can tell Eclipse to do
    what XCode does, or conversely tell my app to see what Eclipse does
    instead of expecting the XCode format.

    The Framework is called 'AssetDBSupport', and when I build it in
    Xcode, this the directory structure of the framework:

    AssetDBSupport.framework/
            AssetDbSupport --> this points to --> Versions/Current/AssetDBSupport
            Resources --> this points to --> Versions/Current/Resources
            Versions/
            WebServerResources --> this points to Versions/Current/
    WebServerResources

            inside Versions/ I have:
                    Current --> this points to A

            inside A/ I have:
                    AssetDBSupport --> this is some binary file that I have no idea
    what it does
                    Resources/ --> this has the eomodel, plists, and java code, as
    expected
                    WebServerResources/ -> this is empty but expected

    In the Eclipse version, I only have:

    AssetDBSupport.framework/
            Resources/ --> same content
            WebServerResources/ --> same content

    It seems to me that with the symbolic links, really what I appear to
    be missing is just the 'AssetDBSupport' file, which I have no idea
    what it is. Any clues or advice? When I install the XCode version,
    all is fine, but when I install the Eclipse version, it appears to
    not find the classes/bundle.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

    Joshua

    -----
    Joshua Archer
    Software Engineer, CSU - Center for Distributed Learning
    Phone: 707.664.2085, Fax: 707.664.4350
    -----