RE: Help needed installing Eclipse and WOLips plugins

From: Bill Michell (bill.michel..bc.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2007 - 04:59:09 EDT

    I'm developing for WO5.2.4 on a PC with Eclipse/WOLips.

    It works well, once configured, but it isn't easy to get set up.

    Essentially, you need to:
    1) Install a suitable JDK - at least 1.5.0. If you're going to add
    anything at all to the extensions directory, you would be wise to copy
    the whole installation first: Eclipse gets unhappy if you use Xalan, for
    example.
    2) Install WebObjects 5.2. Apply the 5.2.4 patch. Struggle to get
    WebObjects working: it WILL get the PATH variable wrong. But with
    perseverance, you can get it right.
    3) Install Eclipse and the relevant plugins. Be careful. Many of the
    plugins out there either require Eclipse 3.3 or else have been signed on
    a non-windows platform using a buggy code signing tool which doesn't
    take proper account of the different flavours of line endings... Rest
    assured that there is at least one version of everything that works. But
    sometimes you might need to install previous versions of stuff and then
    upgrade in order to satisfy all the claimed dependencies. If you can
    track down a bundled version that includes all the dependencies, it
    might be better to use that and then be prepared to wrestle with the
    Eclipse updater to get everything up to a recent-ish version...

    Be prepared to get intimate with all the diagnostic tools at your
    disposal.

    I understand that it is possible to develop to WO 5.3 on a PC with
    Eclipse/WOLips but I've never tried...

    --
    Bill Michell
    Development Team Leader, Broadcast Platforms, BBC FM&T (Journalism).

    -----Original Message----- From: Lachlan Scott [mailto:lachlan.scot..unthered.com] Sent: 27 June 2007 08:14 To: woproject-de..bjectstyle.org Subject: RE: Help needed installing Eclipse and WOLips plugins

    I have been a busy chap in the last 24 hours, and made some serious efforts to progress the WO development situation here. I've found to my frustration however, that there is to say the very least, a dearth of documentation on how to develop with WO on a PC using Eclipse/WOLips.

    I had thought that in the last couple of years, there would now be dozens taking this up, and therefore a good chance that someone would have documented the process. I therefore (perhaps naively) talked my current team into taking a look, and they're gung-ho to see the wonders of NeXT's Holy Grail in their benighted domain. :-) But progress so far has been very poor indeed, and I can find only one relatively recent walk-through at http://homepage.mac.com/kelleherk/iblog/C1216817469/E562266648/index.htm l . This unfortunately doesn't seem to work (perhaps for version reasons).

    So, I know I can do Mac-based WO development with my choice of tools; but I can't talk my team into doing that (they having the PC religion), and I have a number of questions:

    1) Are there people actually doing WO development on PCs with Eclipse/WOLips out there? 2) Is this a viable process? 3) Could any one of those people if they're on this list please point me at some doco that will help my team get going (I do have the full WO 5.2 install disks for Mac/PC/Solaris which presumably give me the Java frameworks I need).

    Many thanks in advance

    Lachlan

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will signify your consent to this.