Re: EntityModeler does not use EOModelGroup.defaultModelGroup() for SQL generation

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2007 - 16:45:05 EDT

    On 28/06/2007, at 1:27 AM, Guido Neitzer wrote:

    > On 26.06.2007, at 23:57, Lachlan Deck wrote:
    >
    >> On 27/06/2007, at 3:32 PM, Chuck Hill wrote:
    >>
    >>> In case this saves anyone some time in the future: if you are
    >>> customizing the SQL generation be aware that the model group the
    >>> models are loaded into is _not_ EOModelGroup.defaultGroup(). If
    >>> you can get a reference to an entity, you can navigate back up to
    >>> the group.
    >>
    >> Can you elaborate on this a bit more?
    >
    > If you customize your SQL generation somehow, e.g. by providing a
    > class
    >
    > org.objectstyle.wolips.eomodeler.EOModelProcessor
    >
    > and hooking into "processModel" or "processSQL" to change the
    > default behaviour, you have to be aware, that you don't get the
    > default modelGroup. That's the case I'm aware of.
    >
    > I customize SQL generation in a way that I can set an attribute to
    > be "not null" on a subclass where the superclass does not have that
    > attribute or allows null for it. Therefor I have to "catch" the
    > generated SQL and remove the "not null" constraint.

    Ahh... that sounds very familiar, if you remember my travels with
    vertical inheritance. I have to currently (manually) allow null for
    every sub-entity where the parent does not allow null in order for it
    to pass initial validation (I've logged a bug in radar for this).

    Hmm, perhaps that could make it into Wonder seeing as it's a general
    eof bug...

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck