Re: pretty interesting

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2007 - 06:45:34 EDT

    On 30/06/2007, at 8:20 PM, Q wrote:

    > On 30/06/2007, at 4:17 AM, Ulrich Köster wrote:
    >
    >> Java 1.6 has scripting support. Someone remember webscript? I
    >> think it's time for scriptable WOComponents.

    +1

    >> Does someone know a scriptable language with full rapid turnaround
    >> mode. I.E a safe way to add/fremove methods?
    >
    > Yes, the JSR-223 additions in Java 6 look interesting. Good for
    > embedded debugging, and runtime pluggable code. The only real
    > problem I see with using embedded scripting for rapid development
    > is the lack of decent debugger support. Although that is likely to
    > change with time now that scripting on the JVM is getting more
    > acceptance.
    >
    > If you want rapid turnaround in a dynamic language, have a look
    > here http://code.google.com/p/wogroovy/
    > It's still a work in progress, there is no documentation, you will
    > need to check it out of subversion and build it yourself. You will
    > need to tweak your eclipse settings a little to get the rapid
    > turnaround working right, email me offline if you need/want to
    > help. You don't need Java 6, but you do need Java 1.5 for rapid
    > turnaround to work. If it proves to be useful to enough people I
    > might spend some more time on improving and documenting how you use
    > it.
    >
    > Quinton Dolan - qdola..mail.com

    Quinton, it would indeed be very useful.

    I'm actually hoping to utilise wogroovy in the near future, the main
    benefit I see is that of being able to add/improve logic for a
    component on a live app as necessary without needing to take down the
    app. In fact that benefit is not limited to components, but any part
    of the app/framework structure.

    The current groovy plugin for Eclipse I've only played with a little.
    The thing I was hoping for was (when subclassing a Java class in
    groovy) being able to auto-complete methods from the Java superclass.
    That doesn't seem to work at this time.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck