Re: pretty interesting

From: Q (qdola..mail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2007 - 10:35:25 EDT

    On 30/06/2007, at 8:45 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    >> If you want rapid turnaround in a dynamic language, have a look
    >> here http://code.google.com/p/wogroovy/
    >> It's still a work in progress, there is no documentation, you will
    >> need to check it out of subversion and build it yourself. You will
    >> need to tweak your eclipse settings a little to get the rapid
    >> turnaround working right, email me offline if you need/want to
    >> help. You don't need Java 6, but you do need Java 1.5 for rapid
    >> turnaround to work. If it proves to be useful to enough people I
    >> might spend some more time on improving and documenting how you
    >> use it.
    >
    > Quinton, it would indeed be very useful.
    >
    > I'm actually hoping to utilise wogroovy in the near future, the
    > main benefit I see is that of being able to add/improve logic for a
    > component on a live app as necessary without needing to take down
    > the app. In fact that benefit is not limited to components, but any
    > part of the app/framework structure.

    Yes, being able to do this with groovy is very cool, however being
    able to easily embed interpreted languages that support dynamic class
    modification has the potential to offer even better rapid development
    possibilities. Groovy being runtime compiled rather than interpreted
    is constrained by the JVM limitation of not being able to alter a
    class after instantiation, instead it must perform class replacement
    at the class loader level to redefine a class. Interpreted languages
    like Javascript, Jython or JRuby that use an internal open type
    system that allow runtime class modification don't necessarily have
    this restriction, depending on how the java integration is
    implemented. On the other hand, I'm still not sure if such languages
    can be made to work with WO as seamlessly as groovy does.

    > The current groovy plugin for Eclipse I've only played with a
    > little. The thing I was hoping for was (when subclassing a Java
    > class in groovy) being able to auto-complete methods from the Java
    > superclass. That doesn't seem to work at this time.

    The groovy plugin is missing a lot of features compared to the java
    support in eclipse, understandably, but the plugin is still evolving,
    so it's one of those things that will most likely be resolved with time.

    --
    Seeya...Q

    Quinton Dolan - qdola..mail.com Gold Coast, QLD, Australia (GMT+10) Ph: +61 419 729 806