Re: pretty interesting

From: Christian Matzat (list..atzat.net)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2007 - 09:56:54 EDT

    Am 30.06.2007 um 16:35 schrieb Q:

    > Yes, being able to do this with groovy is very cool, however being
    > able to easily embed interpreted languages that support dynamic
    > class modification has the potential to offer even better rapid
    > development possibilities. Groovy being runtime compiled rather
    > than interpreted is constrained by the JVM limitation of not being
    > able to alter a class after instantiation, instead it must perform
    > class replacement at the class loader level to redefine a class.
    > Interpreted languages like Javascript, Jython or JRuby that use an
    > internal open type system that allow runtime class modification
    > don't necessarily have this restriction, depending on how the java
    > integration is implemented. On the other hand, I'm still not sure
    > if such languages can be made to work with WO as seamlessly as
    > groovy does.

    I can only agree to you, groovy is very easy to integrate and
    powerfull to use, first choice for a java developer.

    With the Spring Framework there is an easy integration for that issue
    (http://www.springframework.org/docs/reference/dynamic-language.html).
    Yes I know, somebody hates Spring but for that it is great.
    Spring handles the compilation of the groovy scripts and you can
    define a refresh interval for script components, so that they are
    recompiled after some time. Not at least you can put your scripts
    anywhere in the filesystem for easy access.

    Christian

    --
    if you like to contact me please use: christian (et) matzat.de