Re: WoLips and display groups

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2007 - 16:01:42 EDT

    On Jul 20, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Thomas wrote:

    > On 21/07/2007, at 2:31, Chuck Hill wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 20, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is only a problem for people who are using EOGenericRecord
    >>> vs generating Java files. If you have Java classes for your
    >>> EO's, the WOLips editor will already provide code completion.
    >>> I'll have to think about this some ...
    >>>
    >>> How many people actually use just base EOGenericRecord without
    >>> generated Java (and why, out of curiosity)?
    >>
    >> Yes, why oh why would you use an EOGenericRecord for anything by
    >> anonymous join tables?
    >>

    >> Chuck
    >

    > Because, in XCode / EOModeler / WO Builder, it works and does not
    > require any extra effort.

    I can think of several things that work and do not require any extra
    effort. Like not commenting code and not writing tests and putting
    business logic in the UI. They are still a bad idea. :-)

    > In the project I am converting to WOLips, there are many hundreds
    > of EO entities. I do not need Java classes for more than half of
    > them, so I don't have them.

    If you don't need Java classes, what are they for? They just hold
    data and there is no logic? At the very least, I'd regard basing
    your application on dictionaries and KVC as ill advised. Have fun
    refactoring!

    > I know you are going to tell me to use EOGenerator to automatically
    > generate classes for all entities. But I don't yet know how to do
    > that, and it doesn't seem right to me that a newcomer to WOLips
    > can't make an error-free project without having to learn many
    > arcane (and not strictly necessary) tools.

    Many decisions were made to not support what was considered bad
    practice (like having classes in the default package). Maybe that
    was a bad decision as there seem to be a number of people, um, doing
    this. On the flip side of things, XCode / EOModeler / WO Builder
    allowed a lot of invalid data and encouraged sloppy habits that will
    come back to haunt you later. The WOLips tools help you find these
    sooner rather than later. You could just turn off binding validation...

    Chuck