Re: Project Templates

From: Johan Henselmans (joha..etsense.nl)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 15:03:39 EDT

    On 24-jun-2007, at 22:36, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >>> I just committed the new wizard "WO Project from Template" and it
    >>> should be in tonight's build.
    >>>
    >>> I believe we should ultimately replace all of the current WO
    >>> templates with this, but it needs to be extended to be able to
    >>> load templates from inside the jar, or maybe it should unzip
    >>> predefined templates in your ~/Library folder you. Here's the
    >>> rundown on how it works -- if someone wants to make nice pretty
    >>> wiki docs for this, that would be handy:
    >>>

    >> I'd love to, if I would understand the basic file structure of a
    >> WOLips project. I had a look at the tutorials on Confluence, the
    >> file structure is different there. EG: src instead of Sources. Is
    >> the Wonder layout the way forward?
    >>
    >> If that is so, I can start amending the screenshots over there, to
    >> make them come together with the current state of affairs.

    I am now trying to make some templates from Direct To Web
    Applications. The way I did it, was to make a new Wonder Application
    via the orginal mode, copy that over to ~/Library/Application Support/
    WOLips/Project Templates and then remove the bin and build files.

    That seems to work fine.

    Now I want to make the choice to use the Neutral Look, the Basic Look
    or the WebObjects Look, and copy the respective Main, MenuHeader and
    PageWrapper page from /System/Library/JavaDirectToWeb.

    Is that possible? Or should I just make three templates, one for each
    Look?

    > There is no real file structure to a WOLips project other than the
    > existence of the "woproject" folder. Everything else is just a
    > handshake agreement between the build.xml file you're using and the
    > project layout you choose. However, Wonder-style layout (albeit
    > without linking to wonder itself necessarily) I believe is the most
    > straightforward way to organize a project, and definitely the one
    > that I will be recommending. It is likely the old project layout
    > templates will go away at some point.
    >
    >>> You can now build custom project template folders in "~/Library/
    >>> Application Support/WOLips/Project Templates". As an example,
    >>> you can make a folder called "Wonder Application," and inside,
    >>> build an entire project -- folders, files, whatever. These files
    >>> will all be parsed as velocity templates, so you can drop in
    >>> variables or conditionals wherever you need.
    >>
    >> It might be an idea to not only parse ~/Library/Application
    >> Support/WOLips/Project Templates, but also /Library/Application
    >> Support/WOLips/Project Templates and /Network//Library/Application
    >> Support/WOLips/Project Templates, and perhaps even /System//
    >> Library/Application Support/WOLips/Project Templates...
    > Yeah I considered this but just didn't have a chance to figure out
    > how to add multiple template search paths for Velocity.
    > Additionally it's a little strange for us, because we don't install
    > like a normal mac app (i.e. w/ an installer), so there's no
    > straightforward way for the app itself to install templates into
    > anything other than the "~" version. But probably this will be
    > added at some point for people who want to deploy company-wide
    > configuration files for them. Likewise for EOGenerator templates,
    > actually.
    >
    > ms

    Regards,

    Johan Henselmans