Re: WOComponents, Packages, and Protected variables.

From: Steven Mark McCraw (mar..luecollarsoftware.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2007 - 10:48:05 EDT

    Hi Dave,

    In my experience, there's no way around this. You have to either add
    public accessors or make iVars public. cug's suggestion of keeping a
    dictionary for simple bindings is a good one. I think it's good
    practice to create accessors for everything (says the guy who's been
    doing it the other way for years up until the last few months). It's
    a pain in the ass at first, but once you get into the rhythm of doing
    it, it doesn't feel like a big deal and you start to notice nice
    little side effects here and there. I have a ton of code that has to
    be refactored, so I'm leaving everything in the default package in
    that code for now, and adding the accessors as I go. Once I have all
    that in place for existing code, I will go back and move things into
    packages. New code that I write goes into packages right away
    whenever possible. It's a pain, but all that code will have to be in
    packages when the move to java 6 happens, because I believe java 6
    requires everything to be in packages.

    Mark