Re: Eclipse 3.3.1 .... and stuff

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2007 - 17:18:59 EDT

    Since many people probably haven't been following the builds as
    closely, here are the changes since 3.2.x (not just by me, I'm just
    reading through the entire change log since 4118):

    * LOTS of work on a standalone Entity Modeler.app (funded by the
    Apple iTunes Store).
    The standalone version is available in prerelease builds (for the Mac
    only right now) at http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips (latest =
    http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/Entity%20Modeler%
    2020070926.zip ). Some of the things that are interesting about the
    standalone build are
            1) double-clickable EOModels from Finder (surprisingly, a HUGE pain
    in the ass to do with SWT)
            2) 32x32 toolbar icons (thanks to Andrew Lindesay)
            3) supports parsing Eclipse projects and IDEA projects to find model
    dependencies
            4) supports loading models that are not inside Eclipse projects
    (everything internally is converted to URL and no longer depends on
    Eclipse IFile's)
            5) opens up the world to an entirely new class of bugs since it's
    sort-of-an eclipse app, but not-really-an eclipse app

    Note that I don't have a nice build process for standalone yet,
    because RCP apps seem to really dislike build.xml files inside of
    plugins and competes with the regular build process to delete them --
    cute. Also, if you DO build it yourself, you will not have double-
    click opening from Finder, because this requires patches to SWT
    (which have been submitted to the SWT group, but not yet approved for
    inclusion).

    * Bunch of performance improvements in Entity Modeler (models should
    open much faster -- which doesn't mean FAST, mind you, but fastER)

    * I THINK double-click from Package Explorer for Entity Modeler
    should always work now (vs 3.2's little game it liked to play called
    "maybe I'll pay attention to your double click")

    * JProfiler 5.0 support

    * cmd-shift-1 in Java file doesn't insert a funny character anymore

    * Wod/HTML Problems group under a proper custom problem group

    * Bunch of completion fixes: string literal binding value completion
    works again, partial string literals are detected and colorized,
    partial ognl literals are detected and colorized, ognl in wod files
    is colorized differently (just like inline bindings), many more
    "useless" WOComponent/WOElement/Object binding proposals are filtered
    out, " = " no longer appears at the end of binding names in the
    completion dialog, if an api file exists with > 0 bindings in it -
    only api bindings are shown as completion proposals, several common
    HTML passthrough bindings added to core api files (id, style, class,
    etc)

    * Anti-whiner Patch: support access to protected variables when
    components are not in packages

    * Holding cmd in HTML editor turns inline binding component names
    into links to the corresponding component (which opens Java and WOD
    at the same time)

    * Better error handling in Entity Modeler (don't do the "i failed but
    I don't say anything" thing)

    * Beginnings of a WOO editor (not sure this does much yet, though
    there is someone working on a full WOO editor)

    * Extending Entity Modeler with custom model loaders (for instance,
    to support things like the IDEA project file parser, etc) is much
    easier now

    * Entity Modeler is no longer a "model editor," rather it is a "model
    GROUP editor". As such, you can now open a model group and edit all
    of the models in it at once. This is rather new, so let me know if
    it's wonky, but it allows you to do cool things like declare cross
    model relationships with the wizard and write back your changes to
    all the affected models.

    * EOModelDoc (funded by Apple iTunes Store) -- Sort of like
    eoreporter, but EOReporter will break in Leopard. Entity Modeler in
    3.3.x has a Documentation tab on all of the elements of a model that
    lets you type docs for your model, attributes, entities, etc (along
    with an HTML preview). You can then run eomodeldoc to produce
    documentation much like javadoc for your model. You can try out the
    prerelease of it at http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips (latest
    release = http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/eomodeldoc.jar ).
    There's not a nice build process for this one either, yet, because it
    includes all of the eclipse dependencies in the single jar ...
    Eventually I'll make this nicer and include it actually inside of
    Eclipse. There are also modifications to the ERNeutralLook coming
    soon that will display popup help for you models based on the model
    documentation.

    * TINKERING with component previews. The preview tab in Component
    Editor actually does something now ... It's VERY MUCH early playing
    around, but it's kind of interesting. WOLips recursively flattens
    all of the components that you declare into a single HTML file
    (SOOORT of like what would happen at runtime) and shows you an HTML
    preview of the component sans runtime (meaning it's purely a "static
    analysis" of your component rather than a live rendering). This may
    turn into something interesting or may just be a huge diversion ...
    Stay tuned for days when I am bored :)

    * WO tags in HTML editor have a custom color now (defaulting to be a
    little bit darker green than regular HTML tags -- makes them stand
    out a little better)

    * Bunch of new project templates (although I'm hoping these will move
    to the new template system -- it just didn't exist in a nice enough
    form at the time these were made)

    * Ulrich has done a bunch of maven-related commits, but I don't use
    maven, so I can't explain what they do :)

    * The aforementioned new custom project template feature (which now
    supports enumerated type template inputs) as well as loading project
    template defaults from inside the plugin.

    Enjoy ...