Re: Eclipse 3.3.1 .... and stuff

From: Kieran Kelleher (kieran_list..ac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2007 - 22:40:04 EDT

    Maybe its my imagination, but Eclipse 3.3.1 seems faster and more
    responsive overall than 3.2.2

    First impressions below....

    On Oct 3, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    > Since many people probably haven't been following the builds as
    > closely, here are the changes since 3.2.x (not just by me, I'm just
    > reading through the entire change log since 4118):
    >
    > * LOTS of work on a standalone Entity Modeler.app (funded by the
    > Apple iTunes Store).
    > The standalone version is available in prerelease builds (for the
    > Mac only right now) at http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips
    > (latest = http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/Entity%20Modeler%
    > 2020070926.zip ). Some of the things that are interesting about the
    > standalone build are
    > 1) double-clickable EOModels from Finder (surprisingly, a HUGE
    > pain in the ass to do with SWT)
    > 2) 32x32 toolbar icons (thanks to Andrew Lindesay)
    > 3) supports parsing Eclipse projects and IDEA projects to find
    > model dependencies
    > 4) supports loading models that are not inside Eclipse projects
    > (everything internally is converted to URL and no longer depends on
    > Eclipse IFile's)
    > 5) opens up the world to an entirely new class of bugs since it's
    > sort-of-an eclipse app, but not-really-an eclipse app
    >
    > Note that I don't have a nice build process for standalone yet,
    > because RCP apps seem to really dislike build.xml files inside of
    > plugins and competes with the regular build process to delete them
    > -- cute. Also, if you DO build it yourself, you will not have
    > double-click opening from Finder, because this requires patches to
    > SWT (which have been submitted to the SWT group, but not yet
    > approved for inclusion).
    Looks slick. Nice job...

    > * Bunch of performance improvements in Entity Modeler (models
    > should open much faster -- which doesn't mean FAST, mind you, but
    > fastER)

    Nice

    > * Wod/HTML Problems group under a proper custom problem group
    Great

    > * Bunch of completion fixes: string literal binding value
    > completion works again, partial string literals are detected and
    > colorized, partial ognl literals are detected and colorized, ognl
    > in wod files is colorized differently (just like inline bindings),
    > many more "useless" WOComponent/WOElement/Object binding proposals
    > are filtered out, " = " no longer appears at the end of binding
    > names in the completion dialog, if an api file exists with > 0
    > bindings in it - only api bindings are shown as completion
    > proposals, several common HTML passthrough bindings added to core
    > api files (id, style, class, etc)
    Awesome

    > * Anti-whiner Patch: support access to protected variables when
    > components are not in packages
    LOL!

    > * Holding cmd in HTML editor turns inline binding component names
    > into links to the corresponding component (which opens Java and WOD
    > at the same time)
    Really Awesome .... improves workflow speed drilling down thru
    subcomponents

    > * Entity Modeler is no longer a "model editor," rather it is a
    > "model GROUP editor". As such, you can now open a model group and
    > edit all of the models in it at once. This is rather new, so let
    > me know if it's wonky, but it allows you to do cool things like
    > declare cross model relationships with the wizard and write back
    > your changes to all the affected models.
    Very nice.

    > * EOModelDoc (funded by Apple iTunes Store) -- Sort of like
    > eoreporter, but EOReporter will break in Leopard. Entity Modeler
    > in 3.3.x has a Documentation tab on all of the elements of a model
    > that lets you type docs for your model, attributes, entities, etc
    > (along with an HTML preview). You can then run eomodeldoc to
    > produce documentation much like javadoc for your model. You can
    > try out the prerelease of it at http://webobjects.mdimension.com/
    > wolips (latest release = http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/
    > eomodeldoc.jar ). There's not a nice build process for this one
    > either, yet, because it includes all of the eclipse dependencies in
    > the single jar ... Eventually I'll make this nicer and include it
    > actually inside of Eclipse. There are also modifications to the
    > ERNeutralLook coming soon that will display popup help for you
    > models based on the model documentation.

    This was something badly needed. Thanks.

    > * TINKERING with component previews. The preview tab in Component
    > Editor actually does something now ... It's VERY MUCH early playing
    > around, but it's kind of interesting. WOLips recursively flattens
    > all of the components that you declare into a single HTML file
    > (SOOORT of like what would happen at runtime) and shows you an HTML
    > preview of the component sans runtime (meaning it's purely a
    > "static analysis" of your component rather than a live rendering).
    > This may turn into something interesting or may just be a huge
    > diversion ... Stay tuned for days when I am bored :)
    Interesting

    > * WO tags in HTML editor have a custom color now (defaulting to be
    > a little bit darker green than regular HTML tags -- makes them
    > stand out a little better)
    Yes, does make it easier to "read" the HTML

    > * Bunch of new project templates (although I'm hoping these will
    > move to the new template system -- it just didn't exist in a nice
    > enough form at the time these were made)
    Wizard is like the "old days" in Apple's tools

    > * Ulrich has done a bunch of maven-related commits, but I don't use
    > maven, so I can't explain what they do :)
    ant and supplementary bash scripts still work for me ....... maven
    some day

    > * The aforementioned new custom project template feature (which now
    > supports enumerated type template inputs) as well as loading
    > project template defaults from inside the plugin.
    >
    > Enjoy ...
    Will do.