Re: Eclipse 3.3.1 .... and stuff

From: David LeBer (dlebe..odeferous.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2007 - 09:34:19 EDT

    On 4-Oct-07, at 9:25 AM, Jerry W. Walker wrote:

    > Hi, Mike,
    >
    > On Oct 4, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:
    >
    >>> - some sort of box around the block elements, and the ability to
    >>> click on them to select them (yes, just like WO builder) so you
    >>> can scroll to the end of that one and see what's next
    >> I've tried out a bunch of various visualizations ... When I talk
    >> trash about WO Builder, one of the major things I talk about is
    >> that it doesn't do CSS. This is actually sort of true of this new
    >> preview (I say "sort of", because mine is hardcoded at the moment
    >> to do my own CSS -- I'm working on some tricks to do static
    >> analysis of components to figure out which CSS files should be
    >> used .. this is a very weird problem). In old WOB land, drawing
    >> borders is not a big of a deal, because without CSS, page flow is
    >> much more linear. The problem with a more modern page is that CSS
    >> does all sorts of complicated layout, and you can't just draw
    >> boxes around things anymore. I had a version that drew boxes and
    >> it's completely useless because divs collapse from floated
    >> contents, stuff moves all around -- it's just insane. Take a
    >> modern CSS page and add border: 1px solid blue; to all of your
    >> elements and you'll essentially see what I mean. The other
    >> particularly nasty problem is tables ... The most common use of
    >> tables is to put a WORepetition around them. But you can't just
    >> draw a box around that WORepetition, because there is no element
    >> you can put in a table that surrounds a <tr> tag (browsers push
    >> these things below or above the table if you try to inject bogus
    >> tags around <tr>'s). This preview is rendering with WebKit (on OS
    >> X), so we're still constrained by the definition of HTML. I have
    >> no idea how to fix this one at the moment ... For containment
    >> right now, I do rollover background color changes with alpha
    >> channel, so when you rollover a container, it turns light blue,
    >> and when you rollover a subcontainer of that container, it turns a
    >> slightly darker blue (because of the compounding alpha).
    >
    > Have you ever used Xyle Scope? I've found it incredibly helpful in
    > parsing HTML/CSS pages for modification and refinement.
    >
    > http://www.culturedcode.com/xyle/
    >
    > I guess the best way to describe it is as a CSS viewer. Here's a
    > graphic from their web site that shows what it does:
    >
    > <Screenshot_en.jpg>
    > You might take a look at the demo for ideas, if you're interested,
    > to see various ways that they show the source, the cascade and the
    > layout.
    >
    > I emailed their CEO a while back to see if they might be interested
    > in modifying/customizing their product into a WOBuilder like tool,
    > but it was hard to make any business case for their doing so and
    > they had new projects already planned.
    >
    > Sorry I haven't taken the opportunity more often to say what an
    > awesome job I think you and the rest of the Wonder team are doing
    > for the community but I've been under some intense production
> [...]

    Ditto on Xyle Scope!

    Ditto, ditto, ditto, double dog dare ditto!

    I have to say that it's tools like Xyle Scope (and CSSEdit) that keep
    me from caring too much about the abilities of Component editor.

    I usually build my pages with lists and basic divs (and I rely on
    lots of components) and then spend most of my ui time with the app
    running with real data in a browser or Xyle Scope. Tweak, reload,
    rinse repeat.

    ;david

    --
    David LeBer