Re: Eclipse 3.3.1 .... and stuff

From: Thomas (webobject..oomeranet.com.au)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2007 - 19:10:24 EDT

    As a user, and someone who has only contributed opinions to this
    awesome body of work, I'd like to offer yet another opinion.

    I am a visual person, apparently like 50% of the general population
    (and somewhat less than that for programmers). That means that I
    really need something that tells the right-hemisphere "spatial
    mapping and image recognition" area of my brain how it all fits
    together. I need to see that this box fits inside that one, and this
    box comes after that one, and this box looks like a conditional, and
    that box looks like a string, and so on.

    The outline view does not give me any of those visual cues, and is
    restricted to a vertical indented list. I can't see that adding a few
    features to it will help much-- although see the next paragraph for
    one change that would help.

    The Xyle scope approach gives the best of all worlds: a preview on
    the left, a finder/wobuilder cascading column view in the top right,
    and a very sophisticated outline view in the middle right. This
    outline view has three significant advantages over the WOLips
    component editor outline:
            - its decoration and style make it much more recognisable and readable;
            - it shows important attributes (and even some content) of the
    elements it is displaying
            - clicking on an element highlights it in the preview and column
    view panels, and vice-versa.

    If Mike could do that with Component Editor, I would be very happy,
    and so would those of my customers who develop Webobjects, rather
    than just use it. Most of them are technical managers, rather than
    programmers, and they all love WO Builder.

    I am sure it is hard to do this with static analysis. But I get the
    feeling that with some CSS work, the new preview output could be
    decorated to make it visually as useful as WO Builder.

    Mike, I don't know how you are generating the HTML for WebKit to
    display, but I imagine you are generating DIVs with appropriate
    classes. If you added the type of component as a class, eg <div
    class="woif">[if myCondition].....[/if myCondition]</div>, then each
    component type could have its own decoration, and some could show
    graphics. If you could send me an example of the HTML you are sending
    to WebKit, I could have a tinker and see if I could demonstrate what
    I mean. The beauty of this approach would be that developers could
    add their own style sheets for their own reusable components.

    Regards
    Thomas