How do you handle time zones?

From: Miguel Arroz (arro..uiamac.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 13:22:19 EDT

    Hi!

       As I live in a GMT country, I usually don't think much about this,
    but now I need help! :)

       My problem is the following: I'm developing an app that will have
    users from different parts of the globe. There are some events that
    happen during time, and I want the users to see when those events
    occurred, at their local time.

       My problem is exactly that: my server is somewhere (Lisbon, for
    ex, GMT). How do I know what time is it in the user city? What data
    do I have to keep for each user? Their time zone? Their country? The
    problem is that it seems that the time zone by itself is not enough,
    because the DST rules change from country to country, right?

       So, how do you handle this? Does the browser inform the server of
    the local time in the http requests? If not, how?

       Yours

    Miguel Arroz

    Miguel Arroz
    http://www.terminalapp.net