Re: How do you handle time zones?

From: Miguel Arroz (arro..uiamac.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 16:53:44 EDT

    Hi!

       My problem now is how to know the existing time zones... I was
    assuming that there were only 24 time zones, but that is wrong, there
    are many more. As far as I understand, a time zone is the time offset
    and the DST information. The JDK has tons of time zones. So,
    question: is there somewhere a usable table with time zone names and
    "java names" that I can use to create a reasonable time zone menu?

       Yours

    Miguel Arroz

    On 2007/10/05, at 20:27, Andrew Lindesay wrote:

    > Hello Miguel;
    >
    > This is how I handle it --- Store a TZ in the session. I generally
    > achieve this by having a attribute of the timezone against the user
    > who logged in in the database. Next, create a formatter for date
    > and timestamps in the session with accessors in the components'
    > superclass. Every time you want to render a date/timestamp or have
    > a date/timestamp entry field, use the formatters which are able to
    > transform from GMT <---> Local Time. So your application data
    > stays in GMT and is moved to and from the local time.
    >
    > You can see this pattern in my LEWOStuff framework;
    >
    > LEWOSimpleComponent.getFormatterForDateAndTimes()
    > LEWOSimpleComponent.getFormatterForDates()
    >
    > LEWOSession.getTimeZone()
    > LEWOSession.getFormatterForDateAndTimes()
    > LEWOSession.getFormatterForDates()
    >
    > cheers.
    >
    >> As I live in a GMT country, I usually don't think much about this,
    >> but now I need help! :)
    >
    > ___
    > Andrew Lindesay
    > technology : www.lindesay.co.nz